3D volume camera clipping help

mark.ostroot
Hello,

I have a 3D volume of some CT Data that works fine at the original aspect Ratio. I have some code that adjusts the aspect ratio of the volume by using the VtkReSlicer. Which works well for applying a new aspect ratio. My issue is that whenever my aspect ratio is non-Cubic I get some clipping of my volume at certain angles when it is being rotated around. I have tried using the "ResetCameraClippingRange" function, but this seems to have no effect on my Rendered volume. I know that the clipping range bounds are computed from the actor dimensions and they don't seem to change when I change the aspect ratio. Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be missing?

Some noteworthy information:
C++ application
VTK version 8.1.1
Render window is a QT openGL Widget

Thanks in advance,
Mark O

Re: 3D volume camera clipping help

Aashish Chaudhary-2
Dear Mark,

We had a bug which could have resulted in what you are observing. Would it be possible for you to try current master and see if this goes away?

- Aashish

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:39 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Aashish,
I am grabbing the latest from master and compiling from source, I will test to see if this fixes my issue and let you know.

-Mark

Re: 3D volume camera clipping help

mark.ostroot

Hello David,

Thanks for the tip, but I don't believe this is the source of my issue in this case. I perform a shift and scale on the incoming data to effectively make everything a 16-bit unsigned integer and the Opacity function I am using is adjustable by the user, so you can make the air section transparent. The clipping still occurs regardless of the opacity applied to the volume though.

Thanks,
Mark Ostroot

Re: 3D volume camera clipping help

mark.ostroot
Hello Aashish,

I am getting some unresolved external symbols from the new libraries, specifically some issues with vtk volume set property and qvtkopenglwidget. I'm fairly certain I'm linking to the new libraries correctly, maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Some excerpts from visual studio:

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __cdecl vtkVolume::SetProperty(class vtkVolumeProperty *)" (__imp_?SetProperty@vtkVolume@@QEAAXPEAVvtkVolumeProperty@@@Z) referenced in function "private: void __cdecl QTVTKRender::InitializeRendering(void)" (?InitializeRendering@QTVTKRender@@AEAAXXZ)

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class vtkVolumeProperty * __cdecl vtkVolume::GetProperty(void)" (__imp_?GetProperty@vtkVolume@@QEAAPEAVvtkVolumeProperty@@XZ) referenced in function "public: void __cdecl QTVTKRender::updateShading(class QAction *)" (?updateShading@QTVTKRender@@QEAAXPEAVQAction@@@Z)

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual class QVTKInteractor * __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::GetInteractor(void)" (?GetInteractor@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@UEAAPEAVQVTKInteractor@@XZ)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::cleanupContext(void)" (?cleanupContext@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXXZ)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::initializeGL(void)" (?initializeGL@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXXZ)
2> SelectionTool.cpp

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::mouseDoubleClickEvent(class QMouseEvent *)" (?mouseDoubleClickEvent@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXPEAVQMouseEvent@@@Z)

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::mouseMoveEvent(class QMouseEvent *)" (?mouseMoveEvent@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXPEAVQMouseEvent@@@Z)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::mousePressEvent(class QMouseEvent *)" (?mousePressEvent@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXPEAVQMouseEvent@@@Z)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::mouseReleaseEvent(class QMouseEvent *)" (?mouseReleaseEvent@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXPEAVQMouseEvent@@@Z)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::paintGL(void)" (?paintGL@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXXZ)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual bool __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::renderVTK(void)" (?renderVTK@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAA_NXZ)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __cdecl QVTKOpenGLWidget::resizeGL(int,int)" (?resizeGL@QVTKOpenGLWidget@@MEAAXHH@Z)

Thanks in advance,

Mark O

I am grabbing the latest from master and compiling from source, I will test to see if this fixes my issue and let you know.

-Mark

I am grabbing the latest from master and compiling from source, I will test to see if this fixes my issue and let you know.

-Mark

Re: 3D volume camera clipping help

mark.ostroot

I'm not quite certain what you mean, but I have cleaned the project I'm running so there shouldn't be anything old left over. Additionally the master branch of vtk is installed to a new directory, which is where all of my code is now linking to.

I am grabbing the latest from master and compiling from source, I will test to see if this fixes my issue and let you know.

-Mark

Re: 3D volume camera clipping help

mark.ostroot
Hello Aashish,

I ended up getting the new VTK master version working with my code, and the clipping problem went away! I was wondering if you knew an estimate of when the next release should be, or if you knew what commit fixed that bug, so I can apply a patch on our VTK version in house.
Thank you for your help,
Mark O