Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

artapp
I am trying to use the VTK example "SimplePointsReader", which has built and
produces the application file.  However, when the application is run in the
terminal window, the error message "The document 'simple.xyz' could not be
opened.  SimplePointReader cannot open files of this type." (screenshot).
This also happens with "PNGReader", same error, but with PNGReader instead
of SimplePointReader, and "PNG files" instead of just 'files'.  Why am I
unable to view these files within the application?

Thanks,
Austin

I am using the most recent version of VTK and Xcode, and Mac software
version 10.14.3.

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t342699/Screen_Shot_2019-02-20_at_6.png>

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

Bill Lorensen
Try giving the complete filename.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 3:18 PM artapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to use the VTK example "SimplePointsReader", which has built and
> produces the application file.  However, when the application is run in the
> terminal window, the error message "The document 'simple.xyz' could not be
> opened.  SimplePointReader cannot open files of this type." (screenshot).
> This also happens with "PNGReader", same error, but with PNGReader instead
> of SimplePointReader, and "PNG files" instead of just 'files'.  Why am I
> unable to view these files within the application?
>
> Thanks,
> Austin
>
> I am using the most recent version of VTK and Xcode, and Mac software
> version 10.14.3.
>
> <http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t342699/Screen_Shot_2019-02-20_at_6.png>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/VTK-Users-f1224199.html

Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

artapp
I'm not sure what you mean... I've already specified the full name of the
file to be opened with the terminal code "open -a SimplePointsReader
simple.xyz" after specifying the path of the application and the file to be
opened (they are both in the same path).

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

Bill Lorensen
Include the full path, something like:
C;/somefolder/simplepoints.xyz

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019, 4:37 PM artapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean... I've already specified the full name of the
file to be opened with the terminal code "open -a SimplePointsReader
simple.xyz" after specifying the path of the application and the file to be
opened (they are both in the same path).

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

artapp
I've already declared the path previously and I'm able to open the image
using "open simple.xyz" in the command window, but this results in the file
opening with another application and not the SimplePointsReader application.
I've also followed the steps under "Download and Build" directly from this
link (https://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/SimplePointsReader) and the
same result occurs.

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t342699/Screen_Shot_2019-02-20_at_9.png>

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

artapp
I've already done this, and the program itself (as an application) will open
and run.  However, there is just a blank box and the target file cannot be
loaded into the application.  This can be seen to some degree in the first
screenshot, however, not very clearly as this forum limits the size of files
that can be uploaded....

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

artapp
=
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 6.06.54 PM.png

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:23 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Send me the full res screenshot.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019, 6:10 PM artapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've already done this, and the program itself (as an application) will open
and run.  However, there is just a blank box and the target file cannot be
loaded into the application.  This can be seen to some degree in the first
screenshot, however, not very clearly as this forum limits the size of files
that can be uploaded....

Re: Application Cannot Open Files Specific to its use

Bill Lorensen
Why are you using open?

Run the executable directly.

=