BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) when I try rendering data with vtk

BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) when I try rendering data with vtk

Andrew Lam

I'm currently trying to follow this tutorial for my class. https://pyscience.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/volume-rendering-with-python-and-vtk/ I followed the instructions and my code matches up, but when I try to run it I get the following error.

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)

Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)

Value in failed request: 0x0

Serial number of failed request: 15

I've looked through other posts that have similar messages and they don't seem to be quite the same. Oh I'm also running Ubuntu 16.04 on a virtual machine. Please let me know of any suggestions you might have or any additional information you'd need to help resolve this issue.

As suggested by Antimony I uploaded my code to github, here

https://github.com/alam38/lab6

I believe the relevant section is section involving the mapper. As you can see from the commented section I switched from vtk's vtkVolumeRayCastMapper to vtk's smartmapper as a suggestion from my teacher in the case that the issue stemmed from the mapper placing too much strain on my computer. The other similar questions all seem to point towards an issue with nvidia's drivers, but I updated my drivers and there's still an issue. That still didn't solve it and I'm not sure what else I could try. I've also posted to stackoverflow, but I'm not getting much a response there. I will update this with any new information I uncover there is people do start to chime in.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) when I try rendering data with vtk

Dan Lipsa-2
Andrew,
Make sure your virtual machine supports OpenGL. Is Ubuntu your client OS?
If so, try

glxgears

This should display the spinning gears.
Also look at the output from

glxinfo

This shows you the version of OpenGL supported. Should be greater than 3.2 for recent verisons of VTK using OpenGL2.

Dan

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Andrew Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you said and found out that I have openGL 3.0. I'm going to update it and then I'll report back. Also I'm not too familiar with the term client OS, but my machine is running windows and I'm running ubuntu on virtualbox. I ran glxgears and it displayed 3 gears spinning.

Thanks,
Andrew