BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

12

BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Bill Lorensen
I get the following error:

/home/lorensen/ProjectsGIT/VTKNewModules/Filters/Modeling/vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter.cxx:
In member function ‘virtual int
vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter::RequestData(vtkInformation*,
vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*)’:
/home/lorensen/ProjectsGIT/VTKNewModules/Filters/Modeling/vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter.cxx:832:58:
error: ‘void it’ has incomplete type
           auto it = std::rotate( index.begin(), r1, l1+1 );

It seems that std::rotate returning an iterator was introduced in c++11.

My gcc is:
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.4) 4.8.4

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list
Hi Bill,

which passed VTK's CI build tests. I can ping Andreas to take a look at it, but my question for the larger group is what compilers we aim to support. I know VTK now allows code that uses some C++11 language and library features but don't know if there is a list of minimum requirements anywhere.

    David

On Jan 31, 2019, at 18:14, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I get the following error:

/home/lorensen/ProjectsGIT/VTKNewModules/Filters/Modeling/vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter.cxx:
In member function ‘virtual int
vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter::RequestData(vtkInformation*,
vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*)’:
/home/lorensen/ProjectsGIT/VTKNewModules/Filters/Modeling/vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter.cxx:832:58:
error: ‘void it’ has incomplete type
          auto it = std::rotate( index.begin(), r1, l1+1 );

It seems that std::rotate returning an iterator was introduced in c++11.

My gcc is:
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.4) 4.8.4

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list
Hi Bill,

> I sure hope we will still support Ubuntu 14. This is the only compile error. They must be a work around.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to support old compilers and distributions:

1. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will lose support from Canonical in 3 months. I would be surprised if what is in git master is released by then. Why should we support platforms no longer supported by their distributor?

2. If we keep forcing workarounds, the next time something breaks, then *it* will be the only compiler error. That pattern just keeps accruing technical debt. Ultimately, I believe that technical debt will push developers away from VTK so I want to avoid it.

3. Not too long ago, it was common practice for systems in production use to never get patched (lest the patch break what was working). However, security issues and increased connectivity prevalent today has pretty much put a stop to this practice and I think that translates into a much weaker argument for supporting older systems.

        David

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Bill Lorensen
I'm talking about 1 compile error that can be worked around. I have an mr I'll push tomorrow.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019, 5:38 PM David Thompson <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi Bill,

> I sure hope we will still support Ubuntu 14. This is the only compile error. They must be a work around.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to support old compilers and distributions:

1. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will lose support from Canonical in 3 months. I would be surprised if what is in git master is released by then. Why should we support platforms no longer supported by their distributor?

2. If we keep forcing workarounds, the next time something breaks, then *it* will be the only compiler error. That pattern just keeps accruing technical debt. Ultimately, I believe that technical debt will push developers away from VTK so I want to avoid it.

3. Not too long ago, it was common practice for systems in production use to never get patched (lest the patch break what was working). However, security issues and increased connectivity prevalent today has pretty much put a stop to this practice and I think that translates into a much weaker argument for supporting older systems.

        David

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Andrew Maclean-3

David, Bill

I agree with you on this David. Especially in relation to point 3.

In relation to point 2 there is an additional  problem with work arounds in that they may also significantly affect performance.

There is no point in supporting Ubunto 14 if support is being dropped in three months.

Regards
   Andrew

> I sure hope we will still support Ubuntu 14. This is the only compile error. They must be a work around.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to support old compilers and distributions:

1. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will lose support from Canonical in 3 months. I would be surprised if what is in git master is released by then. Why should we support platforms no longer supported by their distributor?

2. If we keep forcing workarounds, the next time something breaks, then *it* will be the only compiler error. That pattern just keeps accruing technical debt. Ultimately, I believe that technical debt will push developers away from VTK so I want to avoid it.

3. Not too long ago, it was common practice for systems in production use to never get patched (lest the patch break what was working). However, security issues and increased connectivity prevalent today has pretty much put a stop to this practice and I think that translates into a much weaker argument for supporting older systems.

        David

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Sean McBride
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 20:37:32 -0500, David Thompson via vtk-developers said:

>I'm not sure it is a good idea to support old compilers and distributions:
>
>1. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will lose support from Canonical in 3 months. I
>would be surprised if what is in git master is released by then. Why
>should we support platforms no longer supported by their distributor?

Is the compiler so tied to the OS?  Bill, can't you upgrade your compiler without updating your whole OS?

>2. If we keep forcing workarounds, the next time something breaks, then
>*it* will be the only compiler error. That pattern just keeps accruing
>technical debt. Ultimately, I believe that technical debt will push
>developers away from VTK so I want to avoid it.
>
>3. Not too long ago, it was common practice for systems in production
>use to never get patched (lest the patch break what was working).

Not that we (programmers collectively) have solved the problem of patches always breaking things that work.  It's still the norm.  :(

>However, security issues and increased connectivity prevalent today has
>pretty much put a stop to this practice and I think that translates into
>a much weaker argument for supporting older systems.

I largely agree, but there are exceptions.

Perhaps less on linux, but newer versions of macOS often drop support for older hardware.  So it's not always easy or cheap to just keep all software up-to-date.

Cheers,

--
Sean

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Bill Lorensen
Sean,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to build gcc 8.2 on my Ubuntu
14.04 system. Only a little tricky. Took several hours to compile.

I have successfully built VTK HEAD and the VTKExamples. All VTK tests passed.

No more bitching from me (about this topic anyway0>

The compiler did expose some new warnings which I'll fix.

Bill

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list

Bill,

It would be great if you have a fix, neverthless. A customer noticed the same issue on Red Hat GCC v4.8.5 20150623. The README says VTK requires gcc  v4.8.3 or newer.

Let me know if you would rather I look into a fix for it.

Thanks,
Sankhesh

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Bill Lorensen
I don't have a fix. Best if you can look.

I've built gcc 8.2 do I don't have a problem.

Bill

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list
Here is a drop-in wrapper for rotate that has the C++11 behavior but
also works with GCC 4.8 ( https://godbolt.org/z/1aVjiZ ).

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a fix. Best if you can look.
>
> I've built gcc 8.2 do I don't have a problem.
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 7:20 AM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> It would be great if you have a fix, neverthless. A customer noticed the same issue on Red Hat GCC v4.8.5 20150623. The README says VTK requires gcc  v4.8.3 or newer.
>>
>> Let me know if you would rather I look into a fix for it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sankhesh
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:27 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sean,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to build gcc 8.2 on my Ubuntu
>>> 14.04 system. Only a little tricky. Took several hours to compile.
>>>
>>> I have successfully built VTK HEAD and the VTKExamples. All VTK tests passed.
>>>
>>> No more bitching from me (about this topic anyway0>
>>>
>>> The compiler did expose some new warnings which I'll fix.
>>>
>>> Bill

>>> --
>>> Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com
>>>
>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list

Sweet, thanks Rob,

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is a drop-in wrapper for rotate that has the C++11 behavior but
also works with GCC 4.8 ( https://godbolt.org/z/1aVjiZ ).

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a fix. Best if you can look.
>
> I've built gcc 8.2 do I don't have a problem.
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 7:20 AM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> It would be great if you have a fix, neverthless. A customer noticed the same issue on Red Hat GCC v4.8.5 20150623. The README says VTK requires gcc  v4.8.3 or newer.
>>
>> Let me know if you would rather I look into a fix for it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sankhesh
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:27 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sean,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to build gcc 8.2 on my Ubuntu
>>> 14.04 system. Only a little tricky. Took several hours to compile.
>>>
>>> I have successfully built VTK HEAD and the VTKExamples. All VTK tests passed.
>>>
>>> No more bitching from me (about this topic anyway0>
>>>
>>> The compiler did expose some new warnings which I'll fix.
>>>
>>> Bill

>>> --
>>> Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com
>>>
>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4417" value="+15188814417" target="_blank">(518) 881-4417

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Bill Lorensen
What happened to the arguments against my complaints about this error?

Bill

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 9:23 AM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:

Sweet, thanks Rob,

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is a drop-in wrapper for rotate that has the C++11 behavior but
also works with GCC 4.8 ( https://godbolt.org/z/1aVjiZ ).

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a fix. Best if you can look.
>
> I've built gcc 8.2 do I don't have a problem.
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 7:20 AM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> It would be great if you have a fix, neverthless. A customer noticed the same issue on Red Hat GCC v4.8.5 20150623. The README says VTK requires gcc  v4.8.3 or newer.
>>
>> Let me know if you would rather I look into a fix for it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sankhesh
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:27 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sean,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to build gcc 8.2 on my Ubuntu
>>> 14.04 system. Only a little tricky. Took several hours to compile.
>>>
>>> I have successfully built VTK HEAD and the VTKExamples. All VTK tests passed.
>>>
>>> No more bitching from me (about this topic anyway0>
>>>
>>> The compiler did expose some new warnings which I'll fix.
>>>
>>> Bill

>>> --
>>> Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com
>>>
>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4417" value="+15188814417" rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank">(518) 881-4417

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list
I wasn't paying attention to the thread. GCC 4.8.3 is a supported
compiler and until we remove it we have to accept that we need to
support it.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What happened to the arguments against my complaints about this error?
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 9:23 AM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Sweet, thanks Rob,
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is a drop-in wrapper for rotate that has the C++11 behavior but
>>> also works with GCC 4.8 ( https://godbolt.org/z/1aVjiZ ).

>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Bill Lorensen
Gcc 4.8 is no longer maintained. See

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 1:27 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email] wrote:
I wasn't paying attention to the thread. GCC 4.8.3 is a supported
compiler and until we remove it we have to accept that we need to
support it.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What happened to the arguments against my complaints about this error?
>
> Bill
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 9:23 AM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Sweet, thanks Rob,
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here is a drop-in wrapper for rotate that has the C++11 behavior but
>>> also works with GCC 4.8 ( https://godbolt.org/z/1aVjiZ ).

>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list
I meant GCC 4.8.3/5 is a supported compiler by VTK not GCC itself.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:32 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I meant GCC 4.8.3/5 is a supported compiler by VTK not GCC itself.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:29 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gcc 4.8 is no longer maintained. See
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-4.8/
>

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 1:27 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't paying attention to the thread. GCC 4.8.3 is a supported
>> compiler and until we remove it we have to accept that we need to
>> support it.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > What happened to the arguments against my complaints about this error?
>> >
>> > Bill

--
Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

But my ubuntu compiler was 4.8.4. And it's c++11 support is spotty as pointed out by this error. I don't believe there are any dashboards for that old compiler. So it isn't really supported by VTK.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 1:32 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email] wrote:
I meant GCC 4.8.3/5 is a supported compiler by VTK not GCC itself.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:29 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gcc 4.8 is no longer maintained. See
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-4.8/
>

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 1:27 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't paying attention to the thread. GCC 4.8.3 is a supported
>> compiler and until we remove it we have to accept that we need to
>> support it.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > What happened to the arguments against my complaints about this error?
>> >
>> > Bill

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

I saw the MR. My question is why are we supporting an old compiler. I think that's what the argument against my first post in this thread.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 1:34 PM Sankhesh Jhaveri <[hidden email] wrote:

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:32 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I meant GCC 4.8.3/5 is a supported compiler by VTK not GCC itself.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:29 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gcc 4.8 is no longer maintained. See
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc-4.8/
>

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 1:27 PM Robert Maynard <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't paying attention to the thread. GCC 4.8.3 is a supported
>> compiler and until we remove it we have to accept that we need to
>> support it.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > What happened to the arguments against my complaints about this error?
>> >
>> > Bill

--
Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

VTK - Dev mailing list
VTK has documented that it supports gcc 4.8.3+ (In the readme, in the
buildsystem, and in the code). and therefore we better do so.

In the past when updating minimum compiler versions have done so
through first verifying that the compilers can be updated without
major inconvenience to users. I haven't seen anyone do a survey for
dropping GCC 4.8. Are we happy dropping the default compiler for the
latest Red Hat Enterprise release?