CDash frontend refresh

VTK - Dev mailing list
We've been working on a refresh of CDash's look and feel. Before rolling this out, we wanted to give you all a sneak peek so that you could let us know what you think.

Our proposed changes are now live on http://testing.cdash.org, which shares a backend database with https://open.cdash.org.

For example,

This is inevitably a work in progress so future tweaks should be expected. That being said, please let us know if you see anything that seems like an obvious defect to you.

Re: CDash frontend refresh

VTK - Dev mailing list
Hi Zack,

I like the new layout! It’s very clean. Would it be possible to add an option to use the original table colors (green, yellow, red)? I can’t put my finger on why, but I find the new color palette more difficult to read.

Sincerely,
T.J.

On Jan 31, 2019, at 1:53 PM, Zack Galbreath via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've been working on a refresh of CDash's look and feel. Before rolling this out, we wanted to give you all a sneak peek so that you could let us know what you think.

Our proposed changes are now live on http://testing.cdash.org, which shares a backend database with https://open.cdash.org.

For example,

This is inevitably a work in progress so future tweaks should be expected. That being said, please let us know if you see anything that seems like an obvious defect to you.

Re: CDash frontend refresh

VTK - Dev mailing list
Maybe the problem is the white text?
There isn't enough difference between the fairly pale color (red, yellow) and the text color.

Changing the text color to black might make it more readable and will make the text that shows the number of errors (or warnings) consistent.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:00 PM TJ Corona via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

My feeling on this is that the green should be stronger color. A fully
green dashboard is a happy thing and it should make me the viewer
happy :)

I do get some less than ideal spacing and alignment ( see attached
image ) around the `Items per page` and the `feed`

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:13 PM Dan Lipsa via vtk-developers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe the problem is the white text?
> There isn't enough difference between the fairly pale color (red, yellow) and the text color.
>
> Changing the text color to black might make it more readable and will make the text that shows the number of errors (or warnings) consistent.
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:00 PM TJ Corona via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Zack,
>>
>> I like the new layout! It’s very clean. Would it be possible to add an option to use the original table colors (green, yellow, red)? I can’t put my finger on why, but I find the new color palette more difficult to read.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> T.J.
>>
>> On Jan 31, 2019, at 1:53 PM, Zack Galbreath via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We've been working on a refresh of CDash's look and feel. Before rolling this out, we wanted to give you all a sneak peek so that you could let us know what you think.
>>
>> Our proposed changes are now live on http://testing.cdash.org, which shares a backend database with https://open.cdash.org.
>>
>> For example,
>> old:   https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK
>> new: http://testing.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK
>>
>> This is inevitably a work in progress so future tweaks should be expected. That being said, please let us know if you see anything that seems like an obvious defect to you.

cdash_alignment.png (87K) Download Attachment

Re: [cmake-developers] CDash frontend refresh

VTK - Dev mailing list
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I pushed a couple tweaks to testing.cdash.org.

* The white numbers on index.php should be more legible now
* reduced the padding of these tables slightly so more builds can fit on the screen at once
* fixed the positioning of the calendar

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 8:40 AM Robert Maynard via cmake-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
My feeling on this is that the green should be stronger color. A fully
green dashboard is a happy thing and it should make me the viewer
happy :)

This is a tough issue. I definitely want CDash to promote feelings of happiness and joy. But at the same time, CDash's main value is helping you figure out what's going wrong and fixing it. This is the motivation behind making warnings and errors more prominent in a sea of clean builds.