Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Tharun
I have scalar values associated with points on mesh and not vertices. Is there a way to color the mesh?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

David Doria-2-3
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:15 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have scalar values associated with points on mesh and not vertices. Is
there a way to color the mesh?

Thanks in advance!
David

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Tharun
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not vertices) on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is associated with vertices.

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Cory Quammen-2
Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between points on the mesh
and vertices?

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the prompt reply.
>
> Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not vertices)
> on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is associated
> with vertices.

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Tharun
sorry for not being clear.

The polydata consists of triangles. I mean those points are inside triangles of mesh not the vertices of triangles.

Hope I am clear.

Regards,
P Tharun Kumar

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between points on the mesh
and vertices?

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the prompt reply.
>
> Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not vertices)
> on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is associated
> with vertices.

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Color-actor-based-on-scalars-of-points-on-mesh-not-vertices-tp5742197p5742205.html
To unsubscribe from Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices), click here.
NAML

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Cory Quammen-2
I see, thanks for the explanation. In VTK, we call that kind of data
cell-associated data, or just cell data.

In the vtkMapper you use, you'll want to call

mapper->SetScalarModeToUseCellData();

It may be helpful to consult this example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/AssignColorsFromLUT

- Cory

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry for not being clear.
>
> The polydata consists of triangles. I mean those points are inside triangles
> of mesh not the vertices of triangles.
>
> Hope I am clear.
>
> Regards,
> P Tharun Kumar
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between points on the mesh
>> and vertices?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you for the prompt reply.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not
>> > vertices)
>> > on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is
>> > associated
>> > with vertices.
>> >

>> > --
>>
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> Cory Quammen
> Staff R&D Engineer
> Kitware, Inc.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> vertices), click here.
> NAML

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Tharun
Thanks for the heads up.

But i have  0 ~ many points in each triangle (cell) not just one and a scalar is associated with each point.

Really appreciate the follow up.

Regards,
P Tharun Kumar

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see, thanks for the explanation. In VTK, we call that kind of data
cell-associated data, or just cell data.

In the vtkMapper you use, you'll want to call

mapper->SetScalarModeToUseCellData();

It may be helpful to consult this example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/AssignColorsFromLUT

- Cory

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry for not being clear.
>
> The polydata consists of triangles. I mean those points are inside triangles
> of mesh not the vertices of triangles.
>
> Hope I am clear.
>
> Regards,
> P Tharun Kumar
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between points on the mesh
>> and vertices?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you for the prompt reply.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not
>> > vertices)
>> > on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is
>> > associated
>> > with vertices.
>> >

>> > --
>>
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> Cory Quammen
> Staff R&D Engineer
> Kitware, Inc.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> vertices), click here.
> NAML

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Color-actor-based-on-scalars-of-points-on-mesh-not-vertices-tp5742197p5742208.html
To unsubscribe from Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices), click here.
NAML

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Bill Lorensen
Can you describe what you expect to see?

On Feb 16, 2017 10:05 AM, "Tharun" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

But i have  0 ~ many points in each triangle (cell) not just one and a scalar is associated with each point.

Really appreciate the follow up.

Regards,
P Tharun Kumar

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see, thanks for the explanation. In VTK, we call that kind of data
cell-associated data, or just cell data.

In the vtkMapper you use, you'll want to call

mapper->SetScalarModeToUseCellData();

It may be helpful to consult this example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/AssignColorsFromLUT

- Cory

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry for not being clear.
>
> The polydata consists of triangles. I mean those points are inside triangles
> of mesh not the vertices of triangles.
>
> Hope I am clear.
>
> Regards,
> P Tharun Kumar
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between points on the mesh
>> and vertices?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you for the prompt reply.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not
>> > vertices)
>> > on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is
>> > associated
>> > with vertices.
>> >

>> > --
>>
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> Cory Quammen
> Staff R&D Engineer
> Kitware, Inc.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> vertices), click here.
> NAML

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Color-actor-based-on-scalars-of-points-on-mesh-not-vertices-tp5742197p5742208.html
To unsubscribe from Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices), click here.
NAML

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

David E DeMarle
VTK doesn't support arbitrarily placed values within cells as a first class concept.

So I would use two meshes: one containing just the extra points the other with for the usual mesh.

Take a look at our Gauss points implementation. Here we store the extra points in the field data and have dedicated filters that work with and eventually extract them onto a separate mesh for display.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:23 AM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you describe what you expect to see?

On Feb 16, 2017 10:05 AM, "Tharun" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

But i have  0 ~ many points in each triangle (cell) not just one and a scalar is associated with each point.

Really appreciate the follow up.

Regards,
P Tharun Kumar

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see, thanks for the explanation. In VTK, we call that kind of data
cell-associated data, or just cell data.

In the vtkMapper you use, you'll want to call

mapper->SetScalarModeToUseCellData();

It may be helpful to consult this example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/AssignColorsFromLUT

- Cory

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry for not being clear.
>
> The polydata consists of triangles. I mean those points are inside triangles
> of mesh not the vertices of triangles.
>
> Hope I am clear.
>
> Regards,
> P Tharun Kumar
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Cory Quammen-2 [via VTK] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between points on the mesh
>> and vertices?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Tharun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you for the prompt reply.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately no. I have scalar values associated with points(not
>> > vertices)
>> > on the mesh. Where as in your example, color or scalar value is
>> > associated
>> > with vertices.
>> >

>> > --
>>
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> Cory Quammen
> Staff R&D Engineer
> Kitware, Inc.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> vertices), click here.
> NAML

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Color-actor-based-on-scalars-of-points-on-mesh-not-vertices-tp5742197p5742208.html
To unsubscribe from Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices), click here.
NAML

Re: Color actor based on scalars of points on mesh (not vertices)

Tharun
Thank you all a ton.

I will give Gauss points implementation a try.