Constructing a surface from a boundary curve

Constructing a surface from a boundary curve

oblakr
Hi,
VTK newcomer here.

I have a very straightforward problem and was wondering whether someone can give me an example on how to solve it or perhaps tell me of a builtin VTK function that might help.

I have a set of connected lines in 3D which form a closed loop/boundary curve. I would like to construct a surface from this loop. Sorf of like Delaunay3D, except the curve might be concave, whereas Delaunay3D (as far as I know) only generates convex surfaces.

(I have to create caps for a set of cut tubes where the tubes might be irregularly cut at their ends.)

What approach could I use to generate such surfaces?

Thanks and best regards,
Rok

Re: Constructing a surface from a boundary curve

Bill Lorensen
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/ContoursToSurface

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 2:10 PM, oblakr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> VTK newcomer here.
>
> I have a very straightforward problem and was wondering whether someone can
> give me an example on how to solve it or perhaps tell me of a builtin VTK
> function that might help.
>
> I have a set of connected lines in 3D which form a closed loop/boundary
> curve. I would like to construct a surface from this loop. Sorf of like
> Delaunay3D, except the curve might be concave, whereas Delaunay3D (as far as
> I know) only generates convex surfaces.
>
> (I have to create caps for a set of cut tubes where the tubes might be
> irregularly cut at their ends.)
>
> What approach could I use to generate such surfaces?
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Rok

Re: Constructing a surface from a boundary curve

oblakr
Hi,
Thanks for the link, however this is not completely optimal for my case:
- the input data for my case is not a contour, since the points do not necessarily lie on the same plane
- vtkVoxelContourFilter expects coordinates to be integer values, and when I try the example the resulting surface does not completely "touch" the original contours - as if its outline were somewhat smoothed. I need the algorithm to produce a surface that exactly matches the input outline.

Is there a name for a generic algorithm that produces a surface from a given 3D boundary (nonplanar)?

Thanks and best regards,
Rok

Re: Constructing a surface from a boundary curve

Bill Lorensen
I did a google search for
non planar contour surface construction

and found nothing that processed non-planar contours