Create a 3d volume using series of DICOM images

Create a 3d volume using series of DICOM images

Rasoul Sharifian
Hi every one,
I have a series of DICOM images and I want to create and display a 3d volume from these images. I used ITK library and I successfully create a volume in .mha format. But I want to visualize my 3d volume, So I think I should use VTK library.
any help would be welcome
Thanks a lot

Re: Create a 3d volume using series of DICOM images

terminator via vtkusers
Although if you just want to visualize, you can use 3D Slicer (3D slicer uses
VTK).

But in VTK, if you have a vtkImageData (which explained
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Read-Series-of-DICOM-images-td5747695.html),
you just need a Mapper. Creating vtkImageData for mha format is also simply
done by vtkMetaImageReader.

Create an object (mapper) of vtkSmartVolumeMapper, then connect your
vtkImageData output port to mapper input port:
/mapper->SetInputConnection(imageData->GetOutputPort()).
/
Then set vtkVolume mapper to that object. vtkVolume also need a
vtkVolumeProperty object to control colors and opacity.

You can find many examples at https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/

Re: Create a 3d volume using series of DICOM images

Matt McCormick-2
Hi Rasoul,

You can read the images to ITK, then convert them to vtkImageData with the ITKVtkGlue module. In your ITK CMake configuration, set

  Module_ITKVtkGlue

to ON. Here are some examples:

Hope this helps,
Matt