Cross platform rendering tests

Slaughter, Andrew E
I am working on a VTK based GUI and would like to test the rendered results across platforms (Linux and MacOS). Based on various sources of documentation, most of which seem to be quite old (https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/OpenGL), this should be possible with Mesa and software rendering.

Could someone please point me to an example and/or current documentation for doing this sort of work.

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Cross platform rendering tests

Ken Martin
To drive the testing take a look at testing with ctest

To do image comparisons look at vtkRegressionTestImage.h and vtkTesting.h We typically invoke testing as

  int retVal = vtkRegressionTestImage( renWin );

The typical approach uses argc and argv to extract the location of a valid image file to use as a comparison. Those two headers have some example code in them. We test nightly on OSX, Window, and Linux with both Mesa and native drivers from Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Slaughter, Andrew E <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am working on a VTK based GUI and would like to test the rendered results across platforms (Linux and MacOS). Based on various sources of documentation, most of which seem to be quite old (https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/OpenGL), this should be possible with Mesa and software rendering.

Could someone please point me to an example and/or current documentation for doing this sort of work.

Thanks,
Andrew

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

Re: Cross platform rendering tests

Ken Martin
VTK uses OpenGL and Mesa is an OpenGL implementation. Building VTK is OpenGL agnostic and it can switch between mesa and native drivers by changing library paths, moving dlls, etc.

This page has information on building mesa for various use cases although generally you can find prebuilt packages/binaries on the web.

Hope that helps
Ken