Quantcast

Cutting a volume

Xiaopeng Yang

Dear VTK users,

I have applied vtkClipPolyData to cut a volume with a flat plane generated by vtkPlane. Now I would like to cut the volume with a customized curved plane, which means that I can change the shape and location of the plane interactively. Could you please tell me how to make a customized curved cutting plane?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Xiaopeng

Xiaopeng Yang, Ph.D. candidate

Ergonomic Design Technology Lab

Department of Industrial & Management Engineering

Pohang University of Science and Technology

Pohang, Kyungbuk 790-784, South Korea

Office. +82-54-279-8247      Cell. +82-10-9794-0110

Re: Cutting a volume

Jafari, Kourosh
Hi Xiapeng,

It depends on what kind of curved plane you would like to make and how interactively you would like to change it. Here is an example:

1. Use splineWidget to create a curved line.
2. Use the above splineWidget to create a parametric function by vtkParametricFunctionSource.
3. Translate the above curved line by vtkTransform in the Z direction.
4. Combine #2 and #3 by vtkAppendPolyData.
5. Use #4 as input of a vtkRuledSurfaceFilter.
6. The output of vtkRuledSurfaceFilter is a curved surface generated by connecting the vertices of the two lines that you generated in steps 2 and 3.

You also need to apply a transformation on the lines to make sure they are located in the right place in the world coordinate system.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Kourosh

________________________________

Re: Cutting a volume

Xiaopeng Yang
Dear Kourosh,

Thank you very much. In my case, I generate a 3D iso-surface object by
vtkcontourfilter. Then I would like to generate a curved plane to cut this
object by vtkclippolydata. Meanwhile, I can change the shape and location of
the plane interactively. So far I can only cut the object by a flat plane
generated by vtkplane. Does the splinewidget can achieve what I want?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Xiaopeng

Re: Cutting a volume

Jafari, Kourosh
No, using SplineWidget you can interactively change the shape of a line by moving its handles. But what you are looking for is different. Even the curved plane you are looking for is different from what I thought. Indeed your question is interesting but unfortunately I do not have an answer for that. But I guess it should not be very difficult to generate the curved plane by vtkcontourfilter but changing it interactively does not seem to be easy.

Regards,