Decode gradient normals

W. John
Hello,
   I'm doing some experiments and changes to the VTK's CastRay function (file vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction.cxx).  In one of the experiments I would like to do, I need to get the actual direction of each voxel's gradient.
  My question is, how can I convert(decode) the staticInfo->EncodedNormals to get the actual direction computed at vtkFiniteDifferenceGradientEstimator.cxx? (i.e. n[0], n[1], n[2])

Thanks in advance.
--John

Do you Yahoo!?