Decode normals

W. John
Hello,
   This is a question I submitted yesterday to the users mailing list and didn't get any answer.  Probably you guys know more about the source code and can help me with this simple question.
   One of the fields of the structure vtkVolumeRayCastStaticInfo is "ushort *EncodedNormals".  I'm doing some experiments with the RayCast function and need to get the actual direction vector for each voxel.
   How can I convert(decode) the staticInfo->EncodedNormals to the actual normal vector?

Thanks in advance.
--John