Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

David E DeMarle
Hey Gang,

I'd like to change the VTK version number in master from 9.0.0 to 8.2.0.  Does anybody object?
The proposed change can be found at: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4700

I want to do this because it will let me make a release now to preserve what is in master. The larger scale changes we planned for 9.0 will happen shortly after that. 8.2 will and 9.0 may come out before the end of this year.

A topic for future discussion is whether we want to continue the existing, fairly haphazard naming scheme or move to something better, perhaps a year.month scheme like several other projects have moved to recently.

thanks for your advice

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Elvis Stansvik
Den ons 26 sep. 2018 00:16David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> skrev:
Hey Gang,

I'd like to change the VTK version number in master from 9.0.0 to 8.2.0.  Does anybody object?
The proposed change can be found at: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4700

I want to do this because it will let me make a release now to preserve what is in master. The larger scale changes we planned for 9.0 will happen shortly after that. 8.2 will and 9.0 may come out before the end of this year.

Sounds good to me. When roughly are you hoping to do the 8.2 release? Asking because I have this lingering MR that fixes support for fractional device pixel ratio in the "old"/"native" QVTKOpenGLWidget (the MR predates the new alien one) that I've been wanting to brush up and get merged, but work has just kept me swamped so I haven't gotten to it yet.

So just wondering whether I have weeks or days to get that done.

The native QVTKOpenGLWidget is currently broken to the point of being unusable on fractional (eg 150%) device pixel ratio (for example a Linux/KDE machine with screen scaling set to 150%).

A topic for future discussion is whether we want to continue the existing, fairly haphazard naming scheme or move to something better, perhaps a year.month scheme like several other projects have moved to recently.

I'm not a dev, but this would be OK with me. We do internal Ubuntu package builds, and as long as the versioning works well as Ubuntu package versions, I think it sounds like a good idea (I think Debian supports just about any versioning scheme, so no worries).

Elvis

thanks for your advice

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Hi Dave,

If master becomes 8.2, would it be possible for the current release branch to be tagged/released as 8.1.2?

The big thing that the release branch has, but that master doesn't, is the old OpenGL backend.  I still find the old backend useful for projects that have to run in environments that don't support OpenGL 3.2.

 - David

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 4:16 PM David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sure I can tag and publish 8.1.2 while making 8.2.0.rc1

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive