Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Trinian Gordon
I'm trying to build the TissueLens example, along with other examples, and all the examples that I have tried now fail in cmake with the error message:
Could not find the VTK package with the following required components: CommonCore, CommonDataModel, FiltersCore, FiltersGeneral, FiltersSources, IOImage, InteractionStyle, RenderingContextOpenGL2, RenderingCore, RenderingFreeType, RenderingOpenGL2.

I am building against a master source build of VTK, and have noticed that the /lib/cmake/vtk-#/Modules folder is no longer created with a vtk build & install. CMake 3.10 vs 3.13.4 makes no difference.

All of these modules are built and exist in the /lib and /bin folders, but cmake doesn't find them. Any ideas?

-Trinian

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

VTK - Users mailing list
On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 20:24:53 +0000, Trinian Gordon wrote:
> I'm trying to build the TissueLens example, along with other examples,
> and all the examples that I have tried now fail in cmake with the
> error message:

Where does this example live? WikiExamples? Somewhere else?

> Could not find the VTK package with the following required components:
> CommonCore, CommonDataModel, FiltersCore, FiltersGeneral,
> FiltersSources, IOImage, InteractionStyle, RenderingContextOpenGL2,
> RenderingCore, RenderingFreeType, RenderingOpenGL2.
>
> I am building against a master source build of VTK, and have noticed
> that the /lib/cmake/vtk-#/Modules folder is no longer created with a
> vtk build & install. CMake 3.10 vs 3.13.4 makes no difference.

There's nothing to put in that directory. Modules are now just plain
CMake targets with their usage requirements attached to them.

> All of these modules are built and exist in the /lib and /bin folders,
> but cmake doesn't find them. Any ideas?

What CMake code are you using to find VTK?

--Ben

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Trinian Gordon

I'm downloading these examples, uncompressing to a folder, entering that folder (which contains the CMakeLists.txt and cxx file) and running: cmake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" .

I have a VTK_DIR environment variable set to  /lib/cmake/vtk-# for the version of VTK I want to use, as was required when building examples against VTK 8.1.

-Trinian

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 21:06:32 +0000, Trinian Gordon wrote:

> It's from:
> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Medical/TissueLens/
>
> I'm downloading these examples, uncompressing to a folder, entering
> that folder (which contains the CMakeLists.txt and cxx file) and
> running: cmake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" .
>
> I have a VTK_DIR environment variable set to  /lib/cmake/vtk-# for the
> version of VTK I want to use, as was required when building examples
> against VTK 8.1.

Bill said he had them updated. Are you using the latest `master` version
of VTKExamples?

--Ben

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Trinian Gordon
Yes, that's where the download link goes too. I downloaded it today to make sure.
I've tried using the cmake-gui as well with the same result.

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 21:06:32 +0000, Trinian Gordon wrote:
> It's from:
> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Medical/TissueLens/
>
> I'm downloading these examples, uncompressing to a folder, entering
> that folder (which contains the CMakeLists.txt and cxx file) and
> running: cmake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" .
>
> I have a VTK_DIR environment variable set to  /lib/cmake/vtk-# for the
> version of VTK I want to use, as was required when building examples
> against VTK 8.1.

Bill said he had them updated. Are you using the latest `master` version
of VTKExamples?

--Ben

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 20:24:53 +0000, Trinian Gordon wrote:
> I'm trying to build the TissueLens example, along with other examples,
> and all the examples that I have tried now fail in cmake with the
> error message:

Where does this example live? WikiExamples? Somewhere else?

> Could not find the VTK package with the following required components:
> CommonCore, CommonDataModel, FiltersCore, FiltersGeneral,
> FiltersSources, IOImage, InteractionStyle, RenderingContextOpenGL2,
> RenderingCore, RenderingFreeType, RenderingOpenGL2.
>
> I am building against a master source build of VTK, and have noticed
> that the /lib/cmake/vtk-#/Modules folder is no longer created with a
> vtk build & install. CMake 3.10 vs 3.13.4 makes no difference.

There's nothing to put in that directory. Modules are now just plain
CMake targets with their usage requirements attached to them.

> All of these modules are built and exist in the /lib and /bin folders,
> but cmake doesn't find them. Any ideas?

What CMake code are you using to find VTK?

--Ben

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Where are you pointing VTK_DIR?

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 12:25 PM Trinian Gordon
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to build the TissueLens example, along with other examples, and all the examples that I have tried now fail in cmake with the error message:
> Could not find the VTK package with the following required components: CommonCore, CommonDataModel, FiltersCore, FiltersGeneral, FiltersSources, IOImage, InteractionStyle, RenderingContextOpenGL2, RenderingCore, RenderingFreeType, RenderingOpenGL2.
>

> I am building against a master source build of VTK, and have noticed that the /lib/cmake/vtk-#/Modules folder is no longer created with a vtk build & install. CMake 3.10 vs 3.13.4 makes no difference.
>
> All of these modules are built and exist in the /lib and /bin folders, but cmake doesn't find them. Any ideas?
>
> -Trinian

Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Bill Lorensen
Try removing the QUIET modifier in the CMakeLists.txt. You will get some more informative error message

Bill

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to build the TissueLens example, along with other examples, and all the examples that I have tried now fail in cmake with the error message:
> Could not find the VTK package with the following required components: CommonCore, CommonDataModel, FiltersCore, FiltersGeneral, FiltersSources, IOImage, InteractionStyle, RenderingContextOpenGL2, RenderingCore, RenderingFreeType, RenderingOpenGL2.
>

> I am building against a master source build of VTK, and have noticed that the /lib/cmake/vtk-#/Modules folder is no longer created with a vtk build & install. CMake 3.10 vs 3.13.4 makes no difference.
>
> All of these modules are built and exist in the /lib and /bin folders, but cmake doesn't find them. Any ideas?
>
> -Trinian

Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Andrew Maclean-3

I just ran a download and build in both Windows and Linux. There are no problems, so I think this is a path issue.

In the top-level folder of your VTK build directory there is a file called windows_path.bat. This will give you the paths needed when you build against VTK.

e.g. something like:
set PATH=<path_to>/Kitware/build/VTK-Debug/bin;%PATH%

set PYTHONPATH= <path_to>/Kitware/build/VTK-Debug/bin/Lib/site-packages;%PYTHONPATH%

Regards
   Andrew

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to build the TissueLens example, along with other examples, and all the examples that I have tried now fail in cmake with the error message:
> Could not find the VTK package with the following required components: CommonCore, CommonDataModel, FiltersCore, FiltersGeneral, FiltersSources, IOImage, InteractionStyle, RenderingContextOpenGL2, RenderingCore, RenderingFreeType, RenderingOpenGL2.
>

> I am building against a master source build of VTK, and have noticed that the /lib/cmake/vtk-#/Modules folder is no longer created with a vtk build & install. CMake 3.10 vs 3.13.4 makes no difference.
>
> All of these modules are built and exist in the /lib and /bin folders, but cmake doesn't find them. Any ideas?
>
> -Trinian

Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Re: Examples don't Configure with New Module Structure

Trinian Gordon
Thanks Bill. Removing the quiet modifier showed a little bit more informative error message.

I am building VTK with TBB and now need to manually specify the TBB parameters used to configure the VTK build in any examples I build against VTK. With the manual TBB specification, the examples will configure, build, and run.

-Trinian

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 17:24:11 +0000, Trinian Gordon wrote:
> Thanks Bill. Removing the quiet modifier showed a little bit more
> informative error message.
>
> I am building VTK with TBB and now need to manually specify the TBB
> parameters used to configure the VTK build in any examples I build
> against VTK. With the manual TBB specification, the examples will
> configure, build, and run.

Ah, that makes sense. Please see this issue to track fixing this in VTK:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/issues/17503

--Ben