Quantcast

Extract space between meshes

Maximilian Weiherer
Dear all,

is it possible to extract the space between two closed and triangulated meshes using VTK? Is there a way to get this space as a point cloud or something similar?
For example, consider two vtkSphereSource meshes with different radii where the sphere with the bigger radius contains the sphere with the smaller one. What I am now trying to get is the space between these two spheres.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Maximilian

Re: Extract space between meshes

kenichiro yoshimi
Hi,

Unfortunately, there is not a filter for 3D constrained Delaunay
triangulation in VTK to realize you want. In VTK an alternative method
to extract a sandwiched space is to use vtkClipDataSet or
vtkTableBasedClipDataSet
to clip a convex volume got by applying vtkDelaunay3D to two closed
surface meshes. I really try this method in your case of two
vtkSphereSources and this works (see attachment), but I feel it hard
to solve this problem in general. I hope it will help you.

Thanks