Fail to generate libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so

Weiguang Guan
Hi,

I try to build VTK 5.0 (download from vtk.org). It has problem when it's
about to generate libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so (see error message below). I
think the error is related to -fPIC of c++ compiler. Does anyone have a
clue?

Weiguang

Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o):
@gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
vtkGraphicsFactory::OffScreenOnlyMode
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o):
@gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
vtkGraphicsFactory::UseMesaClasses
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o):
@gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
vtkGraphicsFactory::UseMesaClasses
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o):
@gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
vtkGraphicsFactory::OffScreenOnlyMode
/usr/bin/ld:
/home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o):
@gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
vtkGraphicsFactory::OffScreenOnlyMode
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Re: Fail to generate libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so

Jens-3-3
Hi Weiguang
It seems to me as if you are trying to create a shared library
libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so which includes the whole Vtk5 (because
libvtkRendering.a is a static library).
Are you sure you do not want Vtk to be of shared libraries, too?
(create shared vtk-libraries with the setting through cmake)

        Greetings
                Jens

Am Dienstag, 7. Februar 2006 18:12 schrieb Weiguang Guan:

> Hi,
>
> I try to build VTK 5.0 (download from vtk.org). It has problem when it's
> about to generate libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so (see error message below). I
> think the error is related to -fPIC of c++ compiler. Does anyone have a
> clue?
>
> Weiguang
>
> Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so
> /usr/bin/ld:
> /home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvt
>kRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o): @gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
> vtkGraphicsFactory::OffScreenOnlyMode
> /usr/bin/ld:
> /home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvt
>kRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o): @gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
> vtkGraphicsFactory::UseMesaClasses
> /usr/bin/ld:
> /home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvt
>kRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o): @gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
> vtkGraphicsFactory::UseMesaClasses
> /usr/bin/ld:
> /home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvt
>kRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o): @gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
> vtkGraphicsFactory::OffScreenOnlyMode
> /usr/bin/ld:
> /home/guanw/visualization/software/build/libraries/thirdParty/VTK/bin/libvt
>kRendering.a(vtkGraphicsFactory.o): @gprel relocation against dynamic symbol
> vtkGraphicsFactory::OffScreenOnlyMode
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Re: Fail to generate libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so

Weiguang Guan
I see your point. Actually, I kept the default value (OFF) for
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS in cmake. I guess it's building libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so
instead of libQVTKWidgetPlugin.a because this is a plugin. All other vtk
libs are static libs.

The problem occured on my 64bit linux box running on SGI Prism only, I
don't get any problem while building vtk5.0 on other 32 bit linux. There
is difference in c++ compiler version (3.2 vs 3.4), not sure this is the
cause.

Weiguang

Weiguang Guan, Research Engineer
RHPCS, McMaster University