Feature edges extraction with associated dihedral angle

Feature edges extraction with associated dihedral angle

Guillaume Jacquenot
Dear VTK users,

I am working with a vtkPolyData made of triangles.

I would like to identify the feature edges WITH:

- the two associated triangle indices to store their normals
- the corresponding dihedral angle.

These results could be respectively CellData vectors and scalar of vtkFeatureEdge output, for example.

1) Using vtkFeatureEdge returns a new vtkPolyData with no link with original triangles. Do I have to iterate over points of the generated vtkFeatureEdge to find the closest triangle on vtkPolyData. But it does not seem smart at all.

2) Rewrite vtkFeatureEdge class with only FeatureEdges=1 seems possible. But is there a smarter solution?

3) Can vtkPolyDataNormals brings a smarter answer?

Thanks you for reading and your future answer!

Guillaume

Re: Feature edges extraction with associated dihedral angle

VTK - Users mailing list
Hi Guillaume,

I do not know of a smarter way to get what you want than to do one of the solutions you have described. You could modify vtkFeatureEdges to produce the output you want and submit it in a merge request on GitLab [1] and make the feature available to future users of the class.

Cory