Fwd: VTK Discourse forum is now available

Fwd: VTK Discourse forum is now available

VTK - Dev mailing list
Hi folks,

Details are available in the forwarded message below.

Thank you,
Cory

Re: Fwd: VTK Discourse forum is now available

Bill Lorensen
I'm not sure retiring id a good idea.

 For example stack overflow mirrors the lists.

The lists are mentioned in many web pages.

Also, I use LastPass for password manager and its a PIA to login just to give a dimple answer. Especially on my phone.

What is the harm in keeping the lists?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:54 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure retiring id a good idea.

 For example stack overflow mirrors the lists.

I think you mean MarkMail? I don't think Stack Overflow mirrors mailing lists.

The lists are mentioned in many web pages.

Also, I use LastPass for password manager and its a PIA to login just to give a dimple answer. Especially on my phone.

You should be able to reply to emails and it will post on Discourse, no login required.

What is the harm in keeping the lists?

Having more VTK support sites diffuses VTK knowledge and splits the community. Having more sites/lists makes it harder for people with questions to search for answers in previous posts. I realize that is also an argument for not having started the VTK Discourse at all, but I think the advantages of Discourse (which we can and have debated) are greater than that of the mailing list.

Cory

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 1:13 PM Cory Quammen via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

Details are available in the forwarded message below.

Thank you,
Cory

Re: Fwd: VTK Discourse forum is now available

VTK - Dev mailing list
I think my biggest concern is references to the old lists, including places in mailman where you can sign up. For me, a search of "vtk mailing lists" brings up the mailman user signup list #2 in the rankings:

and #3 in the rankings:
with links to the user, developer, and vtkm lists.

(Fortunately the #1 ranking is the Community Support | VTK page which links to the forums which is great.)

Also I suspect that there are external courses, presentations, notes, etc. out there which refer to the mailman list(s). So I suggest that these mailman-related sign up sites etc are modified with with an informative redirect to VTK resources especially the forums. Right now you can sign up and it initially acts like expected..... this might generate some frustration in an unsuspecting user.