Fwd: VTK + PyQt5 + VirtualGL not working

Fwd: VTK + PyQt5 + VirtualGL not working

delaossa
Dear VTK developers,

We have an issue with our 3D visualization software which uses VTK, through Python bindings.
Although VTK has been working with no problems with VirtualGL,
recently we have implemented a GUI for our visualization routines.
The problem appeared when we tried to use this GUI remotely through VirtualGL.

We get the following error message:

`
[VGL] NOTICE: Automatically setting VGL_CLIENT environment variable to
[VGL]    131.169.206.101, the IP address of your SSH client.
ERROR: In /data/netapp/fla/plasma/software-max/source/VTK-git/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 725
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x2ef7b00): GLEW could not be initialized.

Segmentation fault
`

The problem also appear with a much more simple program that we took from the VTK examples:

This python script runs smoothly in a local computer, but it fails when using vglrun (VirtualGL).

This is a critical issue for us:
Our simulation data is stored in remote clusters for parallel computing, and therefore,
it is a must to use VirtualGL to visualize the data with VTK without needing to transfer large amounts of data to our personal computers.

Any help or information is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Alberto

Alberto Martinez de la Ossa

Postdoc Uni. Hamburg - DESY-FLA

Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Notkestraße 85, 22607 Hamburg
Office: 01E/O2.514
Phone: +49 40 8998 1569
Email: [hidden email]

vtkQtSimple.py (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: VTK + PyQt5 + VirtualGL not working

Felipe Bordeu-2
Hi everyone,

I can confirm this problem. I have a python 2.7 + qt4 + vtk working app on a remote server with vnc for the visualisation. But with python 3 + qt4 + vtk the same error message appears. If I test the vtk installation alone (not in a embedded qt window) I can create a visualisation in a window.

Le jeu. 14 juin 2018 à 10:00, amdelaossa <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Re: VTK + PyQt5 + VirtualGL not working

delaossa
Hello Felipe,

I have compiled VTK 8.1.1 with python2 and Qt4 and the problem persists.
No idea of what else can be done.

Is anyone else interested in getting this fixed?
I can imagine that using VTK through VirtualGL to access large data sets stored in computing clusters is not a rare task...

Greetings,
Alberto