Quantcast

GPU antialising not working on OpenGL2

Patricio Palma C.
Hi Experts

I have an application runs on Linux using VTK 5.10 with the old opengl back-end, when running this application in a workstation with GPU it produces structures that are rendered with anti-aliasing, the code for this application do not consider calls like SetMultiSamples() or SetAAFrame() to get this effect, then I assume the GPU is providing this for free :).

On the other hand, the same application ported to VTK 7.1 and using the new back-end OpenGL2, tested on the same workstation, do not produces the same anti-aliased images. I have tried using SetAAFrames() but the results are not the same, and the performance got a bit slower.

Do you have any idea about what can be causing this? or How can I get the GPU anti-aliasing enabled when using VTK 7.1 with OpenGL2?

--
Patricio Palma Contreras

Re: GPU antialising not working on OpenGL2

Ken Martin
Try SetMultiSamples(8)  avoid SetAAFrames()  see if that gives you hat you want.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Patricio Palma C. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

Re: GPU antialising not working on OpenGL2

David Lonie-2
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Ken Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try SetMultiSamples(8)  avoid SetAAFrames()  see if that gives you hat you
> want.

There's also new support for FXAA on OpenGL2 in vtk 7.1. It's a bit
lower quality than the hardware based AA, but it might work for your
usecase.

https://blog.kitware.com/new-fxaa-anti-aliasing-option-in-paraviewvtk/

Dave

Re: GPU antialising not working on OpenGL2

Patricio Palma C.
Thanks David and Ken for the suggestions.

Regarding the FXAA support, it worked nice, sadly is not what I need :(

I tried setting MultiSamples to 8 but AA is still not enabled. I forgot to mention (and I think this is important) is that the application uses Qt 4.7 and the structures are displayed through QVTKWidget2. I found a similar discussion on this forum and at that moment AA worked on Qt4:

Please let me know if you have any suggestion on this matter.
Regards
Patricio

--
Patricio Palma Contreras