Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
Hi,

As promised, I have added a release-5.10 branch to Gerrit. I added a
wiki page with instructions and guidance too,

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git/Develop_Release

Please let me know if I missed anything. If you pushed anything this
morning and saw no builds triggered it was probably because I was
updating the scripts. Only master will get CDash@Home builds, but Dave
DeMarle will be adding nightly dashboards for the release-5.10 branch.

Anyone can propose changes, and review changes but only Dave DeMarle
and I can submit those changes at present. We only want to merge bug
fix/compilation fix topics that are already in master (although
realize that they may well be new commits due to the large changes
between 5.10 and master).

Please let us know if you see any issues with the CDash@Home
submissions, Gerrit, etc as several changes were necessary to make
this work.

Thanks,

Marcus

Re: Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

Dean Inglis-2
Hi Marcus,

thanks for following up on this issue.  How will fixes / conservative patches that were already submitted and approved
(prior to your announcement) be identified and added to the release-5.10 branch ?

regards,
Dean

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David E DeMarle
Once I set up the nightly submitters, I'll scan my emails for relevant conversations on topics to merge in.
It would be helpful also if bugs to be fixed are flagged in the vtk bug tracker with a "found in version 5.10.dev" field.
In case I miss something, feel free to send me an email with the subject "FOR VTK 5.10.2".

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Dean Inglis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Marcus,

thanks for following up on this issue.  How will fixes / conservative patches that were already submitted and approved
(prior to your announcement) be identified and added to the release-5.10 branch ?

regards,
Dean

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

As promised, I have added a release-5.10 branch to Gerrit. I added a
wiki page with instructions and guidance too,

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git/Develop_Release

Please let me know if I missed anything. If you pushed anything this
morning and saw no builds triggered it was probably because I was
updating the scripts. Only master will get CDash@Home builds, but Dave
DeMarle will be adding nightly dashboards for the release-5.10 branch.

Anyone can propose changes, and review changes but only Dave DeMarle
and I can submit those changes at present. We only want to merge bug
fix/compilation fix topics that are already in master (although
realize that they may well be new commits due to the large changes
between 5.10 and master).

Please let us know if you see any issues with the CDash@Home
submissions, Gerrit, etc as several changes were necessary to make
this work.

Thanks,

Marcus

Re: Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Dean Inglis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> thanks for following up on this issue.  How will fixes / conservative
> patches that were already submitted and approved
> (prior to your announcement) be identified and added to the release-5.10
> branch ?

What Dave said, but the ideal case is going to be people following the
directions on the wiki page and submitting changes that have been
backported. We will do what we can in the time we have, but I don't
have significant time to backport fixes to 5.10. Letting us know on
the development list would be the ideal case - Dave has been tracking
those emails and bugs and so probably has a far better idea than I do.

If there are things we missed that you are waiting on, please let us
know. I got the impression David Gobbi and others had been maintaining
branches with 5.10 fixes on them too.

Marcus

Re: Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

David Gobbi
Hi Marcus,

I tried re-pushing the tcl 8.6 fix, which is based off of release-5.10 and
was merged into master in March.  My push was rejected, with the error
"No new changes".

Here is my attempt to push, and gerrit's response:

git push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/release-5.10/release-tcl86_update
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To [hidden email]:VTK
 ! [remote rejected] HEAD ->
refs/for/release-5.10/release-tcl86_update (No new changes)
error: failed to push some refs to '[hidden email]:VTK'

The topic that I am pushing is the one listed here:

http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/2360/

What do I do with backports that have already been submitted to gerrit?
I specifically mean topics like the one above, where the backporting
has already been done and the topic is ready to be merged.

  David

Re: Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
Hi David,

For these, you will need to supply the URLs to me or David, this is a
deficiency in the Gerrit logic where it sees a matching SHA and has no
understanding that it can be merged into different integration
branches (they use cherry-picking). I can make sure this is merged,
but it must be done manually. When you cherry-pick something, or
create a new patch then it should work as expected.

Thanks,

Marcus

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM, David Gobbi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> I tried re-pushing the tcl 8.6 fix, which is based off of release-5.10 and
> was merged into master in March.  My push was rejected, with the error
> "No new changes".
>
> Here is my attempt to push, and gerrit's response:
>
> git push gerrit HEAD:refs/for/release-5.10/release-tcl86_update
> Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
> To [hidden email]:VTK
>  ! [remote rejected] HEAD ->
> refs/for/release-5.10/release-tcl86_update (No new changes)
> error: failed to push some refs to '[hidden email]:VTK'
>
> The topic that I am pushing is the one listed here:
>
> http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/2360/
>
> What do I do with backports that have already been submitted to gerrit?
> I specifically mean topics like the one above, where the backporting
> has already been done and the topic is ready to be merged.
>
>   David

Re: Gerrit release-5.10 branch now open for backported fixes

David E DeMarle
I just pushed the Tcl8.6 fixes into release-5.10.

Thanks Dean!

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer