Quantcast

Heads up: libharu is unmaintained

Elvis Stansvik
Hi all,

I was trying out a Git master build today, in preparation for moving
to VTK 8, and noticed that VTK now depends on (and bundles) the
libharu PDF library, for the PDF exporter.

I also happened to notice that it's currently unmaintained. From their
website [1]:

"Looking for a new maintainer!

The project seems to be in more or less good shape (as in `it still
compiles and works`), but it hasn't been actively maintained and/or
developed for a few years and badly needs a new maintainer. If you
think you can do it and have some spare time to spend on it (not too
much), don't hesitate to introduce yourself on the mailing list:
[hidden email] (you might want to subscribe to it first)."

So perhaps it'll resolve itself with that call for help, but just
thought as a heads up, in case you weren't aware and don't want to add
new stuff depending on unmaintained libraries.

Not a big deal really, and I guess the appeal of libharu is that it's
very small. Alternatives like PoDoFo [2] are actively maintained, but
bigger of course.

Cheers,
Elvis

[1] http://libharu.org/
[2] http://podofo.sourceforge.net/

Re: Heads up: libharu is unmaintained

David Lonie-2
Thanks Elvis, I do appreciate the warning!

For some background, we noticed that it was unmaintained before we
decided to use it. Since libharu covers most of the functionality we
need with a few minor changes, and it has proven to be mature enough
to be stable and reliable, we decided to go ahead and use it anyway.
Plus, licensing is always a headache -- libharu is BSD compatible,
while PoDoFo is not (LGPL), so that played a major role in the
decision as well :-)

Thanks,
Dave

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Elvis Stansvik
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was trying out a Git master build today, in preparation for moving
> to VTK 8, and noticed that VTK now depends on (and bundles) the
> libharu PDF library, for the PDF exporter.
>
> I also happened to notice that it's currently unmaintained. From their
> website [1]:
>
> "Looking for a new maintainer!
>
> The project seems to be in more or less good shape (as in `it still
> compiles and works`), but it hasn't been actively maintained and/or
> developed for a few years and badly needs a new maintainer. If you
> think you can do it and have some spare time to spend on it (not too
> much), don't hesitate to introduce yourself on the mailing list:
> [hidden email] (you might want to subscribe to it first)."
>
> So perhaps it'll resolve itself with that call for help, but just
> thought as a heads up, in case you weren't aware and don't want to add
> new stuff depending on unmaintained libraries.
>
> Not a big deal really, and I guess the appeal of libharu is that it's
> very small. Alternatives like PoDoFo [2] are actively maintained, but
> bigger of course.
>
> Cheers,
> Elvis
>
> [1] http://libharu.org/
> [2] http://podofo.sourceforge.net/

Re: Heads up: libharu is unmaintained

Elvis Stansvik
> Thanks Elvis, I do appreciate the warning!
>
> For some background, we noticed that it was unmaintained before we
> decided to use it. Since libharu covers most of the functionality we
> need with a few minor changes, and it has proven to be mature enough
> to be stable and reliable, we decided to go ahead and use it anyway.
> Plus, licensing is always a headache -- libharu is BSD compatible,
> while PoDoFo is not (LGPL), so that played a major role in the
> decision as well :-)

Ah, that makes sense. Good good.

Elvis