How to properly use quadratic cell types ?

How to properly use quadratic cell types ?

mightos
Hello,

I am using VTK to do some visualization of 3D meshes. The cells in my model are quadratric quads. Until now, I've cheated by using simple quads and by skipping the mid-edge nodes.

I now need to display quadratric quads instead. By simply changing the type and adding mid-edge nodes in my script I was able to make it work. However, the quadratic quads looks somewhat "folded" and new edges appeared inside.

Is there a way to get a simple curvature and remove these edges inside ?

Here is what I get. (Quadratic quad on the left, Simple quad on the right)

Thank you in advance for your kind help :)

Re: How to properly use quadratic cell types ?

mightos
After a week of searching, I still can't make it work. I've seen some posts talking about tesselate functions but I couldn't implement it. Can someone give me a small help here ? Thanks in advance :)

Re: How to properly use quadratic cell types ?

Marco Nawijn
Hi,

Just for your information. I checked the visualization of a single quadratic cell
in Paraview 4.2.0 (64 bit, Linux) and cannot reproduce your problem. I have
visualized a single quadratic cell (screenshot and corresponding VTU file
attached). Note that the thick blue lines are the edges visualized by Paraview.

Marco