Quantcast

How to use vtkFeatureEdges?

Wenlong
Dear all

I have a 3D human face model. Now I'd like to find its boundry when it is projected onto 2D plane. I googled about how to implement it in VTK and find vtkFeatureEdges. However, the result from vtkFeatureEdges is a little confusion to me. It's not only give me the contour of a human face in red color, there are also green curves to draw the outline of nose and mouth. Moreover, the most confusing part is there is a red curve starts from the forehead and stops at the chin which across the face.

Can anyone explain to me how to use vtkFeatureEdges to extract a contour of shape? By that I mean the close curve formed by outermost points.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes
Wenlong

Re: How to use vtkFeatureEdges?

nspx
Hi Wenlong,

Maybe you can have a look at this example, it might be your solution.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/ExternalContour

Bye

Re: How to use vtkFeatureEdges?

alisaad05
nspx wrote
Hi Wenlong,

Maybe you can have a look at this example, it might be your solution.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/ExternalContour

Bye

Hi all,

I've been struggling lately to achieve the same effect shown in the quoted example, but I need a surface silhouette instead of the line silhouette, which the consequence of using the image filter.

I want to extract the outermost region with its original topology from a vtkPolyData (loaded from STL for instance) ignoring all internal surfaces, whether they are manifold or non-manifold.
Can I use vtkFeatureEdges to flag internal triangles and delete them ?

I have already tested simple pipelines using vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter and vtkGeometryFilter, but none is able to extract outer surface only, instead all internal features are kept in the result.

Any help is appreciated, regards
Ali