Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Ken Martin

I believe I heard that we changed out the hardware to be a retina display, is someone looking at fixing the buildbot failures?

--
Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer

Re: Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Cory Quammen-2
Ken,

Running some of the bigmac failing tests on my MacBook Pro, it looks
like the test image size generated is in some cases one pixel to large
in one of the dimensions for some reason, e.g.,

602: Failed Image Test ( fieldToUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
602: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
different size:
602: Valid image: 374, 199, 0
602: Test image: 375, 199, 0
602: Failed Image Test ( fieldToUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
602: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
different size:
602: Valid image: 374, 199, 0
602: Test image: 375, 199, 0
635: Failed Image Test ( extractUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
635: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
different size:
635: Valid image: 499, 374, 0
635: Test image: 499, 375, 0

I haven't dug deeper, just posting in case this gives someone a clue.

Cory

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Ken Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe I heard that we changed out the hardware to be a retina display,
> is someone looking at fixing the buildbot failures?
>

> --
> Ken Martin PhD
> Distinguished Engineer
> Kitware Inc.
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park NY 12065
>
> This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
> legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
> addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
> not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
> action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
> received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
> destroy the original message.  Thank you.

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

Re: Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Dan Lipsa-2
This seems to be related to the limitation for macs with retina display - they can only create windows with width and height with even number of pixels.
If you try to create a window with height or width with odd number of pixels you end up with height or width with even number of pixels. See
(there is an small test there as well)

But there seems to be something else going on.

Dan

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Cory Quammen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ken,

Running some of the bigmac failing tests on my MacBook Pro, it looks
like the test image size generated is in some cases one pixel to large
in one of the dimensions for some reason, e.g.,

602: Failed Image Test ( fieldToUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
602: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
different size:
602: Valid image: 374, 199, 0
602: Test image: 375, 199, 0
602: Failed Image Test ( fieldToUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
602: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
different size:
602: Valid image: 374, 199, 0
602: Test image: 375, 199, 0
635: Failed Image Test ( extractUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
635: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
different size:
635: Valid image: 499, 374, 0
635: Test image: 499, 375, 0

I haven't dug deeper, just posting in case this gives someone a clue.

Cory

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Ken Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe I heard that we changed out the hardware to be a retina display,
> is someone looking at fixing the buildbot failures?
>

> --
> Ken Martin PhD
> Distinguished Engineer
> Kitware Inc.
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park NY 12065
>
> This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
> legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
> addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
> not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
> action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
> received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
> destroy the original message.  Thank you.

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

Re: Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Ken Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

I believe I heard that we changed out the hardware to be a retina display, is someone looking at fixing the buildbot failures?

Not working on it, but just to confirm that it's primary display was replaced with a 4k retina monitor, no other changes were made.

Marcus

Re: Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Sean McBride
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 09:33:40 -0400, Cory Quammen said:

>Running some of the bigmac failing tests on my MacBook Pro, it looks
>like the test image size generated is in some cases one pixel to large
>in one of the dimensions for some reason, e.g.,

>602: Failed Image Test ( fieldToUGrid.png ) : 1e+299
>602: Image differencing failed to produce an image because images are
>different size:
>602: Valid image: 374, 199, 0
>602: Test image: 375, 199, 0

Would it be hard / what would be involved in: changing all tests and images to have an even number of pixels in width and height?  (Multiple of 4 might be even more future-proof against future very HiDPI displays.)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 [hidden email]
Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

David Gobbi
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Sean McBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

Would it be hard / what would be involved in: changing all tests and images to have an even number of pixels in width and height?  (Multiple of 4 might be even more future-proof against future very HiDPI displays.)

It would be easier to change the testing so that it tolerates a 1-pixel difference in the size in the images.  In the future the tolerance could be increased as necessary.

 - David

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 09:56:41 -0400, Shawn Waldon said:

>Ping?  Is anyone still working on this?

I'm not.  I don't believe we agreed on a plan either.

I've asked on the cocoa-dev list and am pretty sure we are stuck with NSWindow's behaviour, which is: round sizes *up* to even integral sizes.

David's suggestion of changing the testing system so that it tolerates a 1-pixel difference in the size in the images I agree is probably best, in the short term at least.  Still, if we were starting from scratch, it seems to me that having test output and baselines of identical sizes would be preferable.  Perhaps as tests are maintained, they should be updated to not use odd sizes?

I wonder too if we ought to add a log/warning to SetSize() implementations when users of the API provide odd sizes?

Sean

Re: Is someone working on the bigmac failures?

Bill Lorensen
There are only 23 tests that have odd sizes and they are all python
tests, oddly enough.

I'll change them to have even sizes and I'll update the baselines. For
those tests, I'll delete all baseline versions before I add the new
one.

Bill