JOGL using vtkPanel on MacOS High Sierra

JOGL using vtkPanel on MacOS High Sierra

John L. Papp
Hello All,

I've recently had to port a java wrapped VTK install to MacOSX High
Sierra.  After extensive web searches, any Java JDK above 1.6 is missing
some of the AWT libraries on which vtkPanel and such rely.  Instead, it
was recommended to use JOGL.  I was able to compile VTK 8.2.0 with JOGL
(I think) and the latest OpenJDK, which I think is version 12, but I can
only go as high as 1.8 in the cmake input.  Anyway, the only interface
is through vtkJoglPanelComponent and vtkJoglCanvasComponent.  There was
talk about a vtkJoglPanel and vtkJoglCanvas that would wrap these other
classes but these don't seem to be available in the 8.2.0 release.  I
would like to avoid having to re-write my vtkPanel extended classes as
I'm using a lot of the JPanel class functions that seem to be
unavailable to the vtkJoglPanelComponent class. Is there a vtkJoglPanel
class floating around or that just isn't the way things are done now.
Perhaps it's as simple as replacing the renderer stored in vtkPanel with
one from vtkJogPanelComponent, judging from what is done in in the
JoglConeRendering example.  But, I'm not sure if this is the best way to
do it, especially if someone else has already figured it out.  I've been
avoiding upgrading past VTK 4.x because of these issues but am now at a
point where it can't be helped.

Thanks for any help,

John

Dr. John Papp
Senior Research Scientist
CRAFT Tech.
6210 Kellers Church Road
Pipersville, PA 18947

Email:  [hidden email]
Phone:  (215) 766-1520
Fax  :  (215) 766-1524
Web  :  http://www.craft-tech.com

Re: JOGL using vtkPanel on MacOS High Sierra

VTK - Users mailing list
The PanelComponent is the "modern" implementation which allow to use various backend (JOGL, swt, legacy) while providing a common API and much more control on the event handling.

You might be able to fake your vtkPanel inheritance by creating an adapter between the vtkJOGLPanelComponent and your custom rendering class.