Quantcast

Java wrapping

Csaba Vörös
Dear VTK Developers!

I am a BsC student and now I'm writing my degree thesis. I programming in Java and I would use the vtk for the visualize my 3D model. I use MacOS 10.12.2 (Sierra).
I downloaded from the web the latest version of VTK and I followed the instruction of vtk wiki. I configured the building with CMake and I used make command to compiling. After that I installed the vtk with make install command. In the terminal appeared the /usr/local/lib folder with the vtk.jar and .dylib files.
At the CMake step I signed over the default ON variables the VTK_WRAP_JAVA, VTK_JAVA_INSTALL, VTK_JAVA_CLEANUP_INSTALL fields. I added the following variables to CMake correspond to VTK wiki and signed ON: DVTK_USE_QVTK, DVTK_USE_CARBON, DVTK_USE_GUISUPPORT and DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local.

I use NetBeans development environment and I setted up the vtk.jar to the Libraries and I added the following Virtual Machine options:
-Djava.library.path="/usr/local/natives-Darwin-x86_64"

When I would run a a simple code thrown the following exception:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no vtkCommonJava in java.library.path

The source code contain this:
 static {
    System.loadLibrary("vtkCommonJava");
    System.loadLibrary("vtkFilteringJava");
    System.loadLibrary("vtkIOJava");
    System.loadLibrary("vtkImagingJava");
    System.loadLibrary("vtkGraphicsJava");
    System.loadLibrary("vtkRenderingJava");
  }

I have no idea what is the solution for this problem.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

Csaba Vörös

Re: Java wrapping

Sebastien Jourdain-2
Hi Csaba,

I'm hoping that /usr/local was empty as the VTK_JAVA_CLEANUP_INSTALL property will wipe that directory before packaging the jars and so on.
Usually, when using VTK_JAVA_CLEANUP_INSTALL a local dedicated directory is set to CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX. Then you can copy its content anywhere else.

Regarding your issue I believe that you have all library names. Instead you should be using the helper enum vtkNativeLibrary. Which can be used like in our Demo example here: https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Wrapping/Java/vtk/sample/Demo.java#L51-L61

Seb

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Csaba Vörös <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The issue (I believe) is that you are not using the EDT to do your interaction with VTK.

Specially for the part below:

    //
    // now we loop over 360 degreeees and render the cone each time
    //
    int i;
    for (i = 0; i < 360; ++i)
      {
      // render the image
      renWin.Render();
      // rotate the active camera by one degree
      ren1.GetActiveCamera().Azimuth( 1 );

Moreover, on Mac, you can not really use the standard render window with Java. You should build VTK with JOGL and use the JOGL rendering component like in the example here: https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Wrapping/Java/vtk/sample/rendering/JoglConeRendering.java

For JOGL, you may want to read that first:

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Csaba Vörös <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sebastian!

I tried Load AllNativeLibraries() function and I got some exception that not found the .dylib libraries. I rewrote the libraries path to my build folder and it seems to me the code is correctly run. But the problem is I don't see anything because the window is close very fast. I uploaded the source code to Google Drive that you can see.

Thank you

Csaba