Lack of feedback during cache building

Bill Lorensen
If the cache is rebuilt, I do not get and feedback. Just
Configuring done

How to get the feedback we used to get?

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

VTK - Dev mailing list
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:31:32 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> If the cache is rebuilt, I do not get and feedback. Just
> Configuring done
>
> How to get the feedback we used to get?

What benefit did you derive from it? I always saw it as a wall of noise,
personally since it was unconditional and larger than a single screen
anyways.

I guess, what output should we be generating? For each bit: Should it be
unconditional? If not, should it be on by default?

--Ben

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

Bill Lorensen
I like to see what modules might be excluded, etc. I'd like to see something.

Is this the consensus?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 10:54 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email] wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:31:32 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> If the cache is rebuilt, I do not get and feedback. Just
> Configuring done
>
> How to get the feedback we used to get?

What benefit did you derive from it? I always saw it as a wall of noise,
personally since it was unconditional and larger than a single screen
anyways.

I guess, what output should we be generating? For each bit: Should it be
unconditional? If not, should it be on by default?

--Ben

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

VTK - Dev mailing list
I personally like not seeing as few details as possible.

Maybe just report what modules are enabled?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:01 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like to see what modules might be excluded, etc. I'd like to see something.

Is this the consensus?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 10:54 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email] wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:31:32 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> If the cache is rebuilt, I do not get and feedback. Just
> Configuring done
>
> How to get the feedback we used to get?

What benefit did you derive from it? I always saw it as a wall of noise,
personally since it was unconditional and larger than a single screen
anyways.

I guess, what output should we be generating? For each bit: Should it be
unconditional? If not, should it be on by default?

--Ben

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

VTK - Dev mailing list
My preference is only error and warning messages.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:06 PM Robert Maynard via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I personally like not seeing as few details as possible.

Maybe just report what modules are enabled?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:01 PM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like to see what modules might be excluded, etc. I'd like to see something.

Is this the consensus?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 10:54 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email] wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:31:32 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> If the cache is rebuilt, I do not get and feedback. Just
> Configuring done
>
> How to get the feedback we used to get?

What benefit did you derive from it? I always saw it as a wall of noise,
personally since it was unconditional and larger than a single screen
anyways.

I guess, what output should we be generating? For each bit: Should it be
unconditional? If not, should it be on by default?

--Ben

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

Why cant we have a flag that will give the feedback we used to have? Or a make variable?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:01:17 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I like to see what modules might be excluded, etc. I'd like to see
> something.
>
> Is this the consensus?

There is an item to add debugging information to help figure out why a
module is on or off (same with testing). Something like
`-Dvtk_module_debug=module;testing` would do it. VTK could expose nicer
booleans for such internals too.

--Ben

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

Elvis Stansvik
Den fre 11 jan. 2019 kl 20:01 skrev Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>:

> I like to see what modules might be excluded, etc. I'd like to see something.
>
> Is this the consensus?

I would also like something like that, perhaps something like this:
https://gist.github.com/estan/db8a9d5ea9e1354822484e9872204e96

Wouldn't have to be always on, but with an option.

I challenge anyone to write a printout like that in CMake :)

Elvis

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 10:54 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:31:32 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>> > If the cache is rebuilt, I do not get and feedback. Just
>> > Configuring done
>> >
>> > How to get the feedback we used to get?
>>
>> What benefit did you derive from it? I always saw it as a wall of noise,
>> personally since it was unconditional and larger than a single screen
>> anyways.
>>
>> I guess, what output should we be generating? For each bit: Should it be
>> unconditional? If not, should it be on by default?
>>
>> --Ben

Re: Lack of feedback during cache building

Bill Lorensen
How about redirecting the old output to a file called status.log or something. And a visible feedback that says "See status.log for information on the config process." Or something like that. You me, the old format was fine.