Learning VTK with Python

Anders Wallin-2
Hi group,

I'm trying to learn VTK with Python for developing and visualizing
CAD/CAM algorithms.

So far I've created a few classes for playing around with the simple
vtk-sources:
http://pastebin.ca/1768159

this allows me to easily draw and modify things in a vtk-view:
http://pastebin.ca/1768160

is there already something existing like this for the Python bindings?
(am I reinventing the wheel here?)
I'd like a simple framework where testing vtk and simple algorithms +
taking screenhots and making animations is not too difficult.

thanks,

Anders W

Re: Learning VTK with Python

David Gobbi
Several years ago I made a python-VTK framework for medical image
visualization (http://www.atamai.com/AtamaiViewer/NightlyDoc/html/)
and I'm sure that several other groups have also made python
frameworks for specific VTK tasks.  In fact, it seems to me that
Enthought has turned their framework into a business.

My advice is to just focus on high-level python classes like your
Screen class.  Writing python classes for things like the VTK sources
doesn't really add anything.

  David

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Anders Wallin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I'm trying to learn VTK with Python for developing and visualizing
> CAD/CAM algorithms.
>
> So far I've created a few classes for playing around with the simple
> vtk-sources:
> http://pastebin.ca/1768159
>
> this allows me to easily draw and modify things in a vtk-view:
> http://pastebin.ca/1768160
>
> is there already something existing like this for the Python bindings?
> (am I reinventing the wheel here?)
> I'd like a simple framework where testing vtk and simple algorithms +
> taking screenhots and making animations is not too difficult.
>

> thanks,
>
> Anders W

Re: Learning VTK with Python

shayan moradkhani
hi,
i'm coding in c++ and i want to simulation a machining process, like a
simple drilling machine and a whole which its diameter and depth are
varying.
do you have any idea of how to do that?
i looked into slicer and slider examples, but not so much hint from them
regards
Shayan