Merge boundary edges filter/method?

andyjk
I am subdividing part of a mesh by extracting those cells, subdividing, then
using AppendPolyData filter to patch it back in exactly to the hole it left.
However, this leaves boundary edges as shown below in green (even after
CleanPolyData filter), where there is obviously a mismatch in triangulation.

Is there any filter that can merge edges which are on top of eachother (just
as cleanpolydata does for points) ?
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t325404/boundaries.png>

Re: Merge boundary edges filter/method?

Dean Inglis-2
Hi Andy,

it looks like the only way you could merge is to subdivide a larger
triangle in a "fan" so that its long adjacent edge is subdivided to match the
smaller triangles.

- Dean

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM andyjk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am subdividing part of a mesh by extracting those cells, subdividing, then
using AppendPolyData filter to patch it back in exactly to the hole it left.
However, this leaves boundary edges as shown below in green (even after
CleanPolyData filter), where there is obviously a mismatch in triangulation.

Is there any filter that can merge edges which are on top of eachother (just
as cleanpolydata does for points) ?
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/t325404/boundaries.png>

Re: Merge boundary edges filter/method?

andyjk
Thanks Dean
I feared as much.

I may encounter an issue of creating some weird triangles when I have twpo
edges to merge (like one of the triangles in my picture). I could fan the
first edge out like you suggest, but then the second edge might end up with
some disproportionately small triangles. I was hoping for a magic vtk
solution! I tried filling holes but it doesn't consistently detect the
'holes' ( ie the overlaid edges).

I wondered if I could do something with ribbon filter or similar but cannot
seem to work it out.