Multiple overlapping volumes

Elvis Stansvik
Hi folks,

I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.

I just came across this wiki page from June last year:

    https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering

It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
under "Work in progress".

I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
using/on top of VTK.js?

Best regards,
Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Elvis Stansvik

> Hi folks,
>
> I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
> volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.
>
> I just came across this wiki page from June last year:
>
>     https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>
> It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
> Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
> under "Work in progress".
>
> I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021

"Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".

This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.

Elvis

> I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
> which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
> Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
> using/on top of VTK.js?
>
> Best regards,
> Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Sebastien Jourdain-2
Hi Elvis,

Regarding vtk.js, the video you shared wasn't based on vtk.js. But vtk.js does support mix of geometries and a volume. Although, right now, you can not mix volumes.

HTH,

Seb

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 AM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
> volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.
>
> I just came across this wiki page from June last year:
>
>     https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>
> It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
> Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
> under "Work in progress".
>
> I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021

"Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".

This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.

Elvis

> I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
> which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
> Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
> using/on top of VTK.js?
>
> Best regards,
> Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Elvis Stansvik
> Hi Elvis,
>
> Regarding vtk.js, the video you shared wasn't based on vtk.js. But vtk.js
> does support mix of geometries and a volume. Although, right now, you can
> not mix volumes.

Alright, good to know. I suspected that was the case for VTK.js.

We were interested in mixing volumes. But we're using VTK/C++, so the
news that Alvaros work on this is now merged was very good news.

If we ever try to build something with VTK.js, this would be further
into the future. We'd be interested in mixing volumes there as well.
But hopefully by then something is in place? (perhaps inspired by
Alvaros work?)

Elvis

> HTH,
>
> Seb
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
>> > volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.
>> >
>> > I just came across this wiki page from June last year:
>> >

>> > https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>> >
>> > It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
>> > Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
>> > under "Work in progress".
>> >
>> > I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.
>>
>> I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found
>>

>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021
>>
>> "Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".
>>
>> This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.
>>
>> Elvis
>>

>> > I also found
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
>> > which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
>> > Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
>> > using/on top of VTK.js?
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Guys -

That video was made using some code I've been playing with for a while [1] to see how much of a program like Slicer could be implemented in JavaScript and WebGL(2).  The web environment is very powerful and it's great to see vtk.js develop.

We've also looked a bit at what it would take to make libraries of GLSL code that could work in either desktop OpenGL or WebGL (the CommonGL idea [2]).

Best,
Steve

[1] https://github.com/pieper/sites/tree/gh-pages/step

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Sebastien Jourdain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Elvis,

Regarding vtk.js, the video you shared wasn't based on vtk.js. But vtk.js does support mix of geometries and a volume. Although, right now, you can not mix volumes.

HTH,

Seb

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 AM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
> volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.
>
> I just came across this wiki page from June last year:
>
>     https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>
> It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
> Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
> under "Work in progress".
>
> I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021

"Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".

This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.

Elvis

> I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
> which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
> Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
> using/on top of VTK.js?
>
> Best regards,
> Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Elvis Stansvik
Thanks for responding Steve, and for the links. Very interesting.

Did you consider using VTK.js for your Slicer/WebGL experiment, or was it not mature enough at the time?

(We have (very) preliminary plans for a web version of our program, and it would be great if VTK.js gained mixed/intersecting volume support just like VTK recently did.)

Elvis

Den 26 feb. 2018 4:40 em skrev "Steve Pieper" <[hidden email]>:
Hi Guys -

That video was made using some code I've been playing with for a while [1] to see how much of a program like Slicer could be implemented in JavaScript and WebGL(2).  The web environment is very powerful and it's great to see vtk.js develop.

We've also looked a bit at what it would take to make libraries of GLSL code that could work in either desktop OpenGL or WebGL (the CommonGL idea [2]).

Best,
Steve

[1] https://github.com/pieper/sites/tree/gh-pages/step

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Sebastien Jourdain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Elvis,

Regarding vtk.js, the video you shared wasn't based on vtk.js. But vtk.js does support mix of geometries and a volume. Although, right now, you can not mix volumes.

HTH,

Seb

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 AM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
> volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.
>
> I just came across this wiki page from June last year:
>
>     https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>
> It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
> Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
> under "Work in progress".
>
> I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021

"Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".

This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.

Elvis

> I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
> which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
> Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
> using/on top of VTK.js?
>
> Best regards,
> Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Elvis -

I'm really happy to see all the progress in vtk.js and want to pool resources to avoid divergent/redundant work.  I haven't had a chance to look yet at what it would take to integrate the multivolume rendering with vtk.js but I'm sure something is possible.  The complex parts are managing the opengl state and generating the GLSL code on the fly (metaprogramming) to manage resources and composite during ray integration.  Would love to work with people on this.

-Steve

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for responding Steve, and for the links. Very interesting.

Did you consider using VTK.js for your Slicer/WebGL experiment, or was it not mature enough at the time?

(We have (very) preliminary plans for a web version of our program, and it would be great if VTK.js gained mixed/intersecting volume support just like VTK recently did.)

Elvis

Den 26 feb. 2018 4:40 em skrev "Steve Pieper" <[hidden email]>:
Hi Guys -

That video was made using some code I've been playing with for a while [1] to see how much of a program like Slicer could be implemented in JavaScript and WebGL(2).  The web environment is very powerful and it's great to see vtk.js develop.

We've also looked a bit at what it would take to make libraries of GLSL code that could work in either desktop OpenGL or WebGL (the CommonGL idea [2]).

Best,
Steve

[1] https://github.com/pieper/sites/tree/gh-pages/step

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Sebastien Jourdain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Elvis,

Regarding vtk.js, the video you shared wasn't based on vtk.js. But vtk.js does support mix of geometries and a volume. Although, right now, you can not mix volumes.

HTH,

Seb

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 AM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I asked about support for rendering multiple overlapping
> volumes a couple of years ago, but can't find the mail.
>
> I just came across this wiki page from June last year:
>
>     https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>
> It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
> Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
> under "Work in progress".
>
> I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021

"Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".

This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.

Elvis

> I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
> which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
> Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done
> using/on top of VTK.js?
>
> Best regards,
> Elvis

Re: Multiple overlapping volumes

Aashish Chaudhary-2
We have implemented overlapping volumes on the C++ side, I would be interested in having it available but this probably be somewhat more than a minor task.

- aashish

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     https://na-mic.org/wiki/Project_Week_25/Next_Generation_GPU_Volume_Rendering
>
> It mentions that "Multiple volume support is in development at
> Kitware" and lists "Overlapping volumes - multiple inputs to mapper"
> under "Work in progress".
>
> I'm just curious if that work was continued or put on hold.

I should have checked Git history before sending this mail. I now found

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/a632f77e3fa955dbf17813a803ddae43a9675021

"Added support for multiple volume inputs in GPUVolumeRayCastMapper".

This is fantastic news! I shall experiment with it ASAP.

Elvis

> I also found https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=ML9_JWAz1kY
> which shows a proof-of-concept in WebGL (uploaded by Steve Pieper).
> Anyone know if the code for that experiment is available? Was it done

Ken Martin
It would probably be a few days effort depending on how much flexibility we supported. I'd be happy to help work on it, just lacking a customer to drive it right now.