My personal VTK package for Ubuntu 16.04

My personal VTK package for Ubuntu 16.04

Elvis Stansvik
In case anyone is in need of a VTK 7.0.0 package for Ubuntu 16.04:

    https://launchpad.net/~elvstone/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7

It's a "jumbo" package that installs everything to /opt/VTK-7.0.0. It also only includes the Python wrappers.

Very unofficial, and very much untested at this point since I only built it last night.

Cheers,
Elvis

Re: My personal VTK package for Ubuntu 16.04

Elvis Stansvik
In case anyone is in need of a VTK 7.0.0 package for Ubuntu 16.04:

    https://launchpad.net/~elvstone/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7

It's a "jumbo" package that installs everything to /opt/VTK-7.0.0. It also only includes the Python wrappers.

To clarify: It doesn't install everything from VTK. In fact, it excludes quite a lot (such as the Web module). With "jumbo" I just meant that it's a single package vtk7, not split into various packages like normal Debian packaging mandates.

Elvis

Very unofficial, and very much untested at this point since I only built it last night.

Cheers,
Elvis

Re: My personal VTK package for Ubuntu 16.04

Elvis Stansvik
> I've pushed a proper VTK7 update to the Debian repos [1]. It's also
> available on a PPA [2] for Ubuntu 17.04. Chime in on the bug report [3] if
> you like.

That's fantastic news Nico. Great work!

I just wish I had Zesty so I could give it a spin, but it looks like
you've done a very thorough job.

Just one thing: I would suggest adding
-DModule_vtkRenderingFreeTypeFontConfig=ON to bring in the fontconfig
module. Without it, it's impossible to use system fonts through
fontconfig, short of figuring out the font file paths on your own.

Again, many thanks for doing this work. Now my crazy dream would be an
SRU to Xenial as well, but I guess that's not on the map.

Elvis

> Cheers,
> Nico
>
> [1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/vtk6.git
> [2] https://launchpad.net/~nschloe/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7
> [3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=810254
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> In case anyone is in need of a VTK 7.0.0 package for Ubuntu 16.04:
>>>
>>>     https://launchpad.net/~elvstone/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7
>>>
>>> It's a "jumbo" package that installs everything to /opt/VTK-7.0.0. It
>>> also only includes the Python wrappers.
>>

>> To clarify: It doesn't install everything from VTK. In fact, it excludes
>> quite a lot (such as the Web module). With "jumbo" I just meant that it's a
>> single package vtk7, not split into various packages like normal Debian
>> packaging mandates.
>>
>> Elvis
>>

>>> Very unofficial, and very much untested at this point since I only built
>>> it last night.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Elvis

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: My personal VTK package for Ubuntu 16.04

Elvis Stansvik

>> I've pushed a proper VTK7 update to the Debian repos [1]. It's also
>> available on a PPA [2] for Ubuntu 17.04. Chime in on the bug report [3] if
>> you like.
>
> That's fantastic news Nico. Great work!
>
> I just wish I had Zesty so I could give it a spin, but it looks like
> you've done a very thorough job.
>
> Just one thing: I would suggest adding
> -DModule_vtkRenderingFreeTypeFontConfig=ON to bring in the fontconfig
> module. Without it, it's impossible to use system fonts through
> fontconfig, short of figuring out the font file paths on your own.

My bad, seems the module is part of your package after all. Sorry for the noise.

I think what made me have to specify that flag was that I was turning
off some things at group level.

Elvis