Oculus Rift python wrapping

Daan Kruis

Dear Readers,

My name is Daan Kruis and I am a bachelor computer science student at the University of Amsterdam.
For my bachelorthesis I am researching scientific visualization in virtual reality.
The idea is to enable a user to create, edit and view a visualization pipeline all from a virtual reality environment.
For this purpose I want to use the extensive VTK library.
However, since creating and editing a pipeline from within an application requires introspection into the libraries classes and methods, I cannot use a language like C++, but instead require something like Python.
Now the VR setup I have to use is the Oculus Rift with Oculus Touch Controllers, but there are no python wrappings for the Oculus Rendering classes in VTK (and in general no Oculus Touch support).

My question is if there is any way to wrap the various Oculus classes in python, or if you know of a way to work around this problem.
I was also looking at widgets, because they could prove useful in making the GUI, but they don't seem to be made for rendering in the Oculus. When Rendering a widget in the Oculus it displays it on both screens at the specified position and moves along with the movement of the head, instead of standing still in a 3D world. Is this the expected behaviour, or am I doing something wrong? And if it is expected, is there a way to render it as a still object in the 3D VR environment.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Daan Kruis

Re: Oculus Rift python wrapping

Ken Martin
You can try editing the CMakeLists file for Rendeing/Oculus and remove the classes from the no wrap section. They might wrap OK into python. I have not tried it.

We have not added support for the oculus touch controllers yet as we have not had customer pull for it yet and limited time. If you get something working though we can try adding it in so everyone benefits.

Thanks
Ken