Off screen rendering and video generation

Off screen rendering and video generation

Mengda Wu-3
Hi vtkusers,

   I would like to perform off screen rendering with VTK and output the rendered content (e.g. interaction with a mouse) into a video (e.g. .avi). How to achieve this?

   I know that there is a vtkWindowToImageFilter filter, but it seems that this filter is designed to save individual images instead of a video sequence. Is there a better way?

Thanks,
WX

Re: Off screen rendering and video generation

Cory Quammen-2
I recommend using an external program to do video captures. There are many. Two of which I have found to work well are QuickTime Player on Mac and Jing on Windows.

HTH,
Cory

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Mengda Wu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi vtkusers,

   I would like to perform off screen rendering with VTK and output the rendered content (e.g. interaction with a mouse) into a video (e.g. .avi). How to achieve this?

   I know that there is a vtkWindowToImageFilter filter, but it seems that this filter is designed to save individual images instead of a video sequence. Is there a better way?

Thanks,
WX

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer

Re: Off screen rendering and video generation

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2
For a VTK-only solution, consider looking at vtkFFMPEGWriter or vtkAVIWriter.

Warm regards,
Sankhesh