Planet sized objects and distances on the scale of the Solar System

Planet sized objects and distances on the scale of the Solar System

Mads M. Hansen
Hi list,

I am currently writing what I hope is to be a realistic simulation of the Solar System in C++ and to visualize it in 3D with VTK. However when I try to render the objects (which er spheres) I get either a black screen or when I scale the distances/radii a bit the object shown, until I click with the mouse and then it disappears.  You can see the code attached.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Mads.

mainwindow.cpp (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Planet sized objects and distances on the scale of the Solar System

Dan Lipsa-2
I would look at the the difference between sun diameter and the planets (if you show the sun on the screen a planet would be smaller than a pixel). Also, the distance between planets might be so big that if you want to show that on the screen, planets would be too small to be seen. I have not look at the actual distances, but this might be some of what you are seeing.

I would start with smaller ratios between sun vs planets and distances between planets versus planet diameters. After everyting works as expected, you can move toward the real distances.