Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Patricia Gonçalves
Hello, all!

I have a C++ program that was created with VTK4.2.2 (I think!) and I'm updating it to VTK4.2.6. There are no compilling or debugging errors, but when it starts executing it shows me a message box saying

"The procedure entry point [hidden email] could not be located in the dynamic link library vtkCommon.dll." (in debug mode)

"The procedure entry point [hidden email] could not be located in the dynamic link library vtkCommon.dll." (in release mode)

An example of InsertPoint and InsertNextCell used in the program is:

for (i = 1; i <= m_pixels1; i++) {

float *x1, *x2;

if (m_matching[i][1] != 0) {

x1 = pPoly1->GetPoint(i-1);

x2 = pPoly2->GetPoint(m_matching[i][1]-1);

if (sample == m_pathsample) {

vtkPoints *points = vtkPoints::New();

points->InsertPoint(0, x1);

points->InsertPoint(1, x2);

vtkPolyData *pLine = vtkPolyData::New();

pLine->Allocate(1, VTK_CELL_SIZE);

pLine->SetPoints(points);

int p[2];

p[0] = 0;

p[1] = 1;

pLine->InsertNextCell(VTK_LINE, 2, p);

All the include and library directories are correct, so I don't know where these errors are comming from!

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you so much!

Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves

Re: Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Wagner Sales-2
Hi Patricia,

Did cleaned you project before compile and link? I'm not Windows
developer, but on UNIX these errors are commonly because your program
are not really recompiled and relinked.

Regards

Wagner

Patricia Gonçalves wrote:

> Hello, all!
>
> I have a C++ program that was created with VTK4.2.2 (I think!) and I'm
> updating it to VTK4.2.6. There are no compilling or debugging errors,
> but when it starts executing it shows me a message box saying
>
> "The procedure entry point ?InsertPoint@vtkPoints@@QAEX_JNNN@Z
> <mailto:?InsertPoint@vtkPoints@@QAEX_JNNN@Z> could not be located in
> the dynamic link library vtkCommon.dll." (in debug mode)
>
> "The procedure entry point ?InsertNextCell@vtkPolyData@@QAEHHHPA_J@Z
> <mailto:?InsertNextCell@vtkPolyData@@QAEHHHPA_J@Z> could not be
> located in the dynamic link library vtkCommon.dll." (in release mode)
>
> An example of InsertPoint and InsertNextCell used in the program is:
>
> for (i = 1; i <= m_pixels1; i++) {
>
>     float *x1, *x2;
>
>     if (m_matching[i][1] != 0) {
>
>         x1 = pPoly1->GetPoint(i-1);
>
>         x2 = pPoly2->GetPoint(m_matching[i][1]-1);
>
>         if (sample == m_pathsample) {
>
>             vtkPoints *points = vtkPoints::New();
>
>             points->InsertPoint(0, x1);
>
>             points->InsertPoint(1, x2);
>
>             vtkPolyData *pLine = vtkPolyData::New();
>
>             pLine->Allocate(1, VTK_CELL_SIZE);
>
>             pLine->SetPoints(points);
>
>             int p[2];
>
>             p[0] = 0;
>
>             p[1] = 1;
>
>             pLine->InsertNextCell(VTK_LINE, 2, p);
>
>         }
>
>     }
>
> }
>
> All the include and library directories are correct, so I don't know
> where these errors are comming from!
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this?
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves
> e-mail: [hidden email]

RE: Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Patricia Gonçalves
I keep using Rebuild Solution, if that's what you mean...

Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves

Patricia Gonçalves wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I have a C++ program that was created with VTK4.2.2 (I think!) and I'm
> updating it to VTK4.2.6. There are no compilling or debugging errors,
> but when it starts executing it shows me a message box saying
>
> "The procedure entry point ?InsertPoint@vtkPoints@@QAEX_JNNN@Z
> <mailto:?InsertPoint@vtkPoints@@QAEX_JNNN@Z> could not be located in
> the dynamic link library vtkCommon.dll." (in debug mode)
>
> "The procedure entry point ?InsertNextCell@vtkPolyData@@QAEHHHPA_J@Z
> <mailto:?InsertNextCell@vtkPolyData@@QAEHHHPA_J@Z> could not be
> located in the dynamic link library vtkCommon.dll." (in release mode)
>
> An example of InsertPoint and InsertNextCell used in the program is:
>
> for (i = 1; i <= m_pixels1; i++) {
>
>     float *x1, *x2;
>
>     if (m_matching[i][1] != 0) {
>
>         x1 = pPoly1->GetPoint(i-1);
>
>         x2 = pPoly2->GetPoint(m_matching[i][1]-1);
>
>         if (sample == m_pathsample) {
>
>             vtkPoints *points = vtkPoints::New();
>
>             points->InsertPoint(0, x1);
>
>             points->InsertPoint(1, x2);
>
>             vtkPolyData *pLine = vtkPolyData::New();
>
>             pLine->Allocate(1, VTK_CELL_SIZE);
>
>             pLine->SetPoints(points);
>
>             int p[2];
>
>             p[0] = 0;
>
>             p[1] = 1;
>
>             pLine->InsertNextCell(VTK_LINE, 2, p);
>
>         }
>
>     }
>
> }
>
> All the include and library directories are correct, so I don't know
> where these errors are comming from!
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this?
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves
> e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Cesar Rabak-2
Patrícia,

By the way did you also changed the developing environment to a newer one?

From your build process can you check if the not found symbols exists in the DLL?

Patricia Gonçalves <[hidden email]> escreveu:
[...]

Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

RE: Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Andrew J. Dolgert
Hi - It looks like you compiled against one version of the dlls and are running with another. In other words, you still have the vtk4.2.2 dlls earlier in your path than the 4.2.6 dlls. The executable you made expects to find a different signature for InsertPoint than the old one. It is probably a small change in the signature that still allows your code to compile.

- Drew Dolgert

RE: Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

Patricia Gonçalves
Yes, I changed from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio .NET 2003. But the program runs just fine with vtk4.2.2. in VS.NET 2003.

Yes, I used /VERBOSE in the linker options and I can see that all the symbols exist!

Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves

Re: Problem updating from vtk4.2.2 to vtk4.2.6

David Cole
This sounds very much like your executable is loading the wrong set of
DLL's... How many vtkCommon.dll files exist on your system? (And in your
PATH environment variable...?)

You can use the program depends.exe to see which DLL's will be picked up
given the current environment. You can download it for free from
http://www.dependencywalker.com

You can also use Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com to
analyze the runtime environment (path, loaded dlls, command line,
current directory, and more!) of your executable.

Hope this helps,
David

Patricia Gonçalves wrote:

> Yes, I changed from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio .NET 2003. But
> the program runs just fine with vtk4.2.2. in VS.NET 2003.
>
> Yes, I used /VERBOSE in the linker options and I can see that all the
> symbols exist!
>
> Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves

You were right, thank you! There were some VTK dll's in one of the systems directories, probably left there by a previous instalation of the program I'm working on.

Thank you for the tip!

Patrícia C. T. Gonçalves