Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Chuck Lloyd
I've seen a few posts about problems with QVTKWidget and resizing
but none of the solutions seem to fix this problem.

I don't see this problem with windowsXP.

On win7 when the window is made larger, it looks like the renderer
simply stops updating. It seems to get key events, because if I
switch to wireframe display (w) and then shrink the window,
the first update shows a wireframe model.

I'm using Qt 4.7.2 and VTK 5.6.1.

Is anyone still using QVTKWidget or are people moving to QVTKWidget2?

Links to pastebin of the code below:

main.cpp        http://pastebin.com/QnBpaaSN
mainwindow.cpp  http://pastebin.com/yVMyNbnm
mainwindow.h    http://pastebin.com/Y2ZNTmk8
mainwindow.ui   http://pastebin.com/syRzpBFB
CMakeLists.txt  http://pastebin.com/E2ZwsCQ0

Chuck

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Dženan Zukić
I am using QVTKWidget on Win7 and Qt 4.7.3 without a problem. It also worked without a problem with earlier versions of Qt (4.7.2, 4.6, etc).

I didn't know there was a QVTKWidget2.

mainwindow.ui   <a href="http://pastebin.com/syRzpBFB CMakeLists.txt" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/syRzpBFB
CMakeLists.txt  http://pastebin.com/E2ZwsCQ0

Chuck

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

John Drescher-2
> I am using QVTKWidget on Win7 and Qt 4.7.3 without a problem. It also worked
> without a problem with earlier versions of Qt (4.7.2, 4.6, etc).
>
> I didn't know there was a QVTKWidget2.

Agreed, Same here.

John

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Clinton Stimpson
On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 06:39:55 am John Drescher wrote:
> > I am using QVTKWidget on Win7 and Qt 4.7.3 without a problem. It also
> > worked without a problem with earlier versions of Qt (4.7.2, 4.6, etc).
> >
> > I didn't know there was a QVTKWidget2.
>
> Agreed, Same here.

Its new for VTK 5.8.  It uses and allows for the use of the QtOpenGL module.
Meaning, that one can use QPainter, integrate with QGraphicsView, etc...
There is a new example demonstrating these new capabilities with it being the
viewport widget for a QGraphicsView along with some embedded VTK views as
QGraphicsItems.

Clint

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Chuck Lloyd
Clinton,

Thanks for the suggestion. I added the line but it did not work.
I don't think you can disable the backing store for a widget based
on tracing through the qt widget repaint function. It looks like it
is hard coded for the OS.

Ironically, I already had Aero off. When I turned it on, the problem
went away. So to correct my previous post. The problem only
happens for me with windows7 and Aero off.

Unfortunately this only fixed the problem for my simplest test program.
When I add a vtkContourWidget to the Window, it still behaves the same
way. I'll see if I can get it down to a simple test case again.

Chuck

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Clinton Stimpson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've heard reports of this too.  How easily can you reproduce this?
Can you try adding a line to see if it makes a difference?

   m_vtkWidget = new QVTKWidget( ui->displayWidget, QFlag(0));
   m_vtkWidget->setAttribute(Qt::WA_NoSystemBackground);

Does turning Aero on/off make a difference?
Does substituting QVTKWidget for QVTKWidget2 make a difference?

I'd like to see a solution to this problem, but am unable to reproduce it.

Clint

On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 03:18:16 pm Chuck Lloyd wrote:
> I've seen a few posts about problems with QVTKWidget and resizing
> but none of the solutions seem to fix this problem.
>
> I don't see this problem with windowsXP.
>
> On win7 when the window is made larger, it looks like the renderer
> simply stops updating. It seems to get key events, because if I
> switch to wireframe display (w) and then shrink the window,
> the first update shows a wireframe model.
>
> I'm using Qt 4.7.2 and VTK 5.6.1.
>
> Is anyone still using QVTKWidget or are people moving to QVTKWidget2?
>
> Links to pastebin of the code below:
>
> main.cpp        http://pastebin.com/QnBpaaSN
> mainwindow.cpp  http://pastebin.com/yVMyNbnm
> mainwindow.h    http://pastebin.com/Y2ZNTmk8
> mainwindow.ui   http://pastebin.com/syRzpBFB
> CMakeLists.txt  http://pastebin.com/E2ZwsCQ0
>
> Chuck

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

nsarrasin
Hi all,

I'm re-opening this post because I encounter the same problem.
For example, displaying a contextual menu above the qvtkwidget, with aero disabled, freeze the refreshing of the window.

For the moment, the only solution I have is to turn aero on.

Any news since the last post ?

Thanks by advance

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Clinton Stimpson
No news... And no one has given a way to reproduce it.   What version of Qt?  And is it a problem in the latest Qt version?

Clint

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

nsarrasin
Here is additional information I can provide :
- Qt 4.7 + vtk 5.6
- i have not tried any other version
- step to reproduce (in my case) :
-- displaying a qvtkwidget
-- displaying a contextual menu (QMenu from Qt) above it
-- while this menu is visible, try to move (rotate, pan, etc..) the scene.

I have reproduce this step on several PC with windows seven. Everytime, the scene is only update in the region of the contextual menu, the other parts stay fixed.
On some configuration, it takes few seconds for the window to refresh itself and on other config, I need to call GetRenderWindow()->Render();.
I guess it depends on the graphic card.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM, nsarrasin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is additional information I can provide :
> - Qt 4.7 + vtk 5.6
> - i have not tried any other version
> - step to reproduce (in my case) :
> -- displaying a qvtkwidget
> -- displaying a contextual menu (QMenu from Qt) above it
> -- while this menu is visible, try to move (rotate, pan, etc..) the scene.
>
> I have reproduce this step on several PC with windows seven. Everytime, the
> scene is only update in the region of the contextual menu, the other parts
> stay fixed.
> On some configuration, it takes few seconds for the window to refresh itself
> and on other config, I need to call GetRenderWindow()->Render();.
> I guess it depends on the graphic card.

I will try to test that at work today. I am using vtk-5.6.1 and
Qt-4.7.3 on windows xp64 and windows 7 64 bit. I have never seen this
effect however I never mess with the scene with a QMenu open. I
definitely have manipulated the scene with QWidgets open but these
dock to the right of the QVtkWidgets in my application and reduce
their size.

John

John

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

Alex Malyushytskyy
I have not built my application with latest vtk yet ,
But I seen problem in the Paraview (64 bit) which I also running on my
Windows 7.
After menu displayed over QVTK widget is hidden you piece of widget
stops updating itself correctly.
This is fixed if you resize the window (I just maximize it).

Very annoying bug.

Regards,
  Alex

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM, John Drescher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM, nsarrasin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Here is additional information I can provide :
>> - Qt 4.7 + vtk 5.6
>> - i have not tried any other version
>> - step to reproduce (in my case) :
>> -- displaying a qvtkwidget
>> -- displaying a contextual menu (QMenu from Qt) above it
>> -- while this menu is visible, try to move (rotate, pan, etc..) the scene.
>>
>> I have reproduce this step on several PC with windows seven. Everytime, the
>> scene is only update in the region of the contextual menu, the other parts
>> stay fixed.
>> On some configuration, it takes few seconds for the window to refresh itself
>> and on other config, I need to call GetRenderWindow()->Render();.
>> I guess it depends on the graphic card.
>>

> I will try to test that at work today. I am using vtk-5.6.1 and
> Qt-4.7.3 on windows xp64 and windows 7 64 bit. I have never seen this
> effect however I never mess with the scene with a QMenu open. I
> definitely have manipulated the scene with QWidgets open but these
> dock to the right of the QVtkWidgets in my application and reduce
> their size.
>
> John
>
> John

Re: Problem with QVTKWidget not expanding in win7.

John Drescher-2
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Alex Malyushytskyy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have not built my application with latest vtk yet ,
> But I seen problem in the Paraview (64 bit) which I also running on my
> Windows 7.
> After menu displayed over QVTK widget is hidden you piece of widget
> stops updating itself correctly.
> This is fixed if you resize the window (I just maximize it).

I just tried this on my application (Qt based using vtk 5.6.1)  since
I am currently using it under 64 bit windows 7 and I did not
experience any problem. I clicked on the file menu which covered 1/4
to 1/2 of the left side of my display. Then I used the scroll wheel to
switch slices in the lung ct case I was looking at and there was no
update problem at all.

John

On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 06:01:10 am nsarrasin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm re-opening this post because I encounter the same problem.
> For example, displaying a contextual menu above the qvtkwidget, with aero
> disabled, freeze the refreshing of the window.
>
> For the moment, the only solution I have is to turn aero on.
>
> Any news since the last post ?
>
> Thanks by advance

This problem should be fixed in the git repository now, and is on the list to
merge into the 5.8 release.

--
Clinton Stimpson
Elemental Technologies, Inc