Quantcast

Processing Limits of VTK?

Wilf Rosenbaum
Hi Guys,
  I am trying to get some sense of VTKs limits from the perspective of maximum data size. I am looking for theoretical limits, pointers to relevant documentation and empirical tales of using VTK with large datasets where VTK was successful and where it fell over. (I'm not looking to slag VTK off here, and I am planning our own investigations - I am just looking for the collective wisdom of the user base before we plunge in).
Thanks,
Wilf

PS Of course I know that the answer to my broad question is "It depends ..." but I am interested in hearing your practical experiences.

Re: Processing Limits of VTK?

Mathieu Westphal
Hi

There is two limits, one is your system memory, the second is vtkIdType size (eg: number of points/cells/rows are vtkIdType).

vtkIdType can be an int, long int or long long int depending and your system and vtk configuration.

Of course, this does not consider computation time, only actual limits.

Regards,

On 6 Apr 2017 9:04 pm, "Wilf Rosenbaum" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,
  I am trying to get some sense of VTKs limits from the perspective of maximum data size. I am looking for theoretical limits, pointers to relevant documentation and empirical tales of using VTK with large datasets where VTK was successful and where it fell over. (I'm not looking to slag VTK off here, and I am planning our own investigations - I am just looking for the collective wisdom of the user base before we plunge in).
Thanks,
Wilf

PS Of course I know that the answer to my broad question is "It depends ..." but I am interested in hearing your practical experiences.

Re: Processing Limits of VTK?

David E DeMarle
Another point to consider is that, via the distributed memory parallel extensions (turn on Group_MPI to access them), it is used in production on supercomputers within applications like ParaView on trillions of cell sized problems.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive