Qt 4.1 Success anyone?

Jacey-Lynn Minoi
Hi,

I've only managed to play around with Matthias' VtkQt, however mine seems to
work with Qt3.2. This VtkQt apparently have a bug with the font, meaning that
the fonts are being replaced with squared boxes.

Any wiz who managed to remove and solve the font bugs with VtkQt, do pelase
keep me posted and tell me your receipe.

Thanks

Rgds,
Jacey

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:18:30 +0100
> From: "Runar Lyngset" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [vtkusers] Qt 4.1 Success anyone?
> To: <[hidden email]>
>
> Has anyone successfully built a VTK project with Qt 4.1 ?  In case someone
> has any experience in doing so, I would be interested in some help as the
> current VTK examples are written for Qt 3 and are not directly compatible
> with Qt4.
>

> Runar

Re: Re: Qt 4.1 Success anyone?

Biddiscombe, John A.
I don't understand the nature of the problem, but I've been using qt4.1
and vtk cvs head since the day 4.1 was released. there is no problem
with it.
try
setenv QTDIR=~/qt-4.1.0 // or whatever
setenv PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
then run cmake for your vtk build, make sure desired qt version is 4.
clear any old cache values thta might cause trouble. build and away you
go. I've never had any trouble.
windows alos builds fine. The trick is to ensure that qt-4.1.0/bin is on
the path as cmake checks which qt version you have using 'qmake
--version' (or somethig similar)
Aha! I expect you're  using an old cmake version with no or old qt4
macros. Use cmake latest too.

JB
I have qt 3.2.x, 4.0.1, 4.1.0 all co-existing on the same machine and as
long as you follow the above rules it works fine.

Jacey-Lynn Minoi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've only managed to play around with Matthias' VtkQt, however mine seems to
> work with Qt3.2. This VtkQt apparently have a bug with the font, meaning that
> the fonts are being replaced with squared boxes.
>
> Any wiz who managed to remove and solve the font bugs with VtkQt, do pelase
> keep me posted and tell me your receipe.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rgds,
> Jacey

John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/BJohn.php
CSCS, Swiss National Supercomputing Centre  | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.07
Via Cantonale, 6928 Manno, Switzerland      | Fax:  +41 (91) 610.82.82

Re: Qt 4.1 Success anyone?

Clinton Stimpson

The font bugs could be a conflict between your system freetype library
and the freetype library that VTK builds with.
Try setting VTK_USE_SYSTEM_FREETYPE to ON.
Some people see this problem, and some don't, because of what freetype
version they have installed on their system.
Whether VTK works with the system freetype depends also on which version
of freetype you have installed.
If you're unlucky, you'll get unresolved freetype symbols when linking
VTK to an executable.
Another option is to configure Qt to not use the system freetype, but
you'll get less pretty fonts.

Clint