Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Sophonet
Hi list,

an application using VTK 8.0.0 and Qt 5.9.1 (built with -opengl desktop)
does not start correctly (using X11 forwarding). After displaying an
error message "failed to get the current screen resources", there is
another error message

vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x55f891d77a80): GL version 2.1 with the
gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is
required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL
driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5
or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.

However, my Ubuntu 17.04 system has Mesa 17.0.7, glxgears works fine
(using X11 forwarding) and glxinfo shows (among other things) the
correct driver - see below, so I am a bit puzzled what is going on. Any
hints?

Thanks,

sophonet

P.S.: The first call in my application's main() function is
QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat, see below. The same application runs
fine and without problems on Windows.

#if QT_VERSION >= 0x050500
         // before initializing QApplication, set the default surface
format, see documentation

QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat(QVTKOpenGLWidget::defaultFormat());
#endif

GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
     GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_EXT_import_context,
     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
     GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
     GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
     GLX_SGI_make_current_read
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
     Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
     Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
     Version: 17.0.7
     Accelerated: no
     Video memory: 3949MB
     Unified memory: no
     Preferred profile: core (0x1)
     Max core profile version: 3.3
     Max compat profile version: 3.0
     Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
     Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Re: Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Sophonet
Yes, well, I am using a Windows machine and putty. Putty has an option
in it's configuration dialog. I don't know whether the X connection is
encrypted (-X) or not (-Y).

On 2017-08-11 14:31, David Gobbi wrote:

> How are you doing the X11 forwarding?  Are you using "ssh -Y"?
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:20 AM, Sophonet
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> an application using VTK 8.0.0 and Qt 5.9.1 (built with -opengl
>> desktop) does not start correctly (using X11 forwarding). After
>> displaying an error message "failed to get the current screen
>> resources", there is another error message
>>
>> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x55f891d77a80): GL version 2.1 with the
>> gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but
>> is required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your
>> OpenGL driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have
>> version 10.6.5 or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports
>> OpenGL 3.2.
>>
>> However, my Ubuntu 17.04 system has Mesa 17.0.7, glxgears works fine
>> (using X11 forwarding) and glxinfo shows (among other things) the
>> correct driver - see below, so I am a bit puzzled what is going on.
>> Any hints?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> sophonet
>>
>> P.S.: The first call in my application's main() function is
>> QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat, see below. The same application
>> runs fine and without problems on Windows.
>>
>> #if QT_VERSION >= 0x050500
>> // before initializing QApplication, set the default surface
>> format, see documentation
>>
>> QSurfaceFormat::setDefaultFormat(QVTKOpenGLWidget::defaultFormat());
>> #endif
>>
>> GLX version: 1.2
>> GLX extensions:
>> GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
>> GLX_EXT_import_context,
>> GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
>> GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
>> GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
>> GLX_SGI_make_current_read
>> Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
>> Vendor: VMware, Inc. (0xffffffff)
>> Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits) (0xffffffff)
>> Version: 17.0.7
>> Accelerated: no
>> Video memory: 3949MB
>> Unified memory: no
>> Preferred profile: core (0x1)
>> Max core profile version: 3.3
>> Max compat profile version: 3.0
>> Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
>> Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
>> OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
>> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)
>> OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
>> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Re: Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

David Gobbi
The "-X" vs "-Y" doesn't mean encrypted vs. non-encrypted.  See the ssh man page here:

https://man.openbsd.org/ssh

Specifically:   -Y    Enables trusted X11 forwarding.

The "-Y" gives the client access to the GPU, and is necessary for all but the most basic rendering.  I'm not sure if putty provides this option, since I do nearly all of my work on Linux or Mac.

 - David

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Sophonet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, well, I am using a Windows machine and putty. Putty has an option in it's configuration dialog. I don't know whether the X connection is encrypted (-X) or not (-Y).

Re: Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Sophonet
Ah okay, this was not clear to me. But see bottom my first e-mail: Mesa
is doing software rendering (llvmpipe), no GPU should be required.

On 2017-08-11 16:13, David Gobbi wrote:

> [...]
>> Preferred profile: core (0x1)
>> Max core profile version: 3.3
>> Max compat profile version: 3.0
>> Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
>> Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
>> OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
>> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)
>> OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
>> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

> Powered by www.kitware.com [1]

> http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html [2]

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ [3]

> [4]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.kitware.com
> [2] http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
> [3] http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ
> [4] http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtkusers

Re: Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Ah, I missed that.  On the linux system, use "ldd" to verify that the VTK libraries are linked to the correct OpenGL libraries:

  ldd /path/to/vtk/library.so

Also, as an alternative to X11 forwarding, you can try using VNC.  In the past, I've set up Xvnc to allow multiple users to connect to a linux server and get a graphical linux desktop:

 - David

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Sophonet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah okay, this was not clear to me. But see bottom my first e-mail: Mesa is doing software rendering (llvmpipe), no GPU should be required.

Re: Qt5/VTK application does not start correctly (with X11 forwarding)

Sophonet
I think I found the problem: My XMing version (6.9.0.31 from 2007, the
last free version) seemed to be too old. I have switched to Cygnus/X,
and when turning off native OpenGL, the application starts fine.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.