Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Andrew Maclean-3
Sankesh, for your information,.

With respect to VTKExamples.
In looking at C++ examples,  https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Coverage/CxxVTKClassesUsed/ I can only see vtkGeoAssignCoordinates being used in https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Geovis/GeoAssignCoordinates/ and vtkGeoGraticule, vtkGeoProjection, vtkGeoTransform used in https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Geovis/GeoGraticle/

Nothing in the Python examples.

So, in my opinion, deprecation would be appropriate if there are no users/maintainers.

Regards
   Andrew

--
Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4417" value="+15188814417" target="_blank">(518) 881-4417

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

zmantorn
I use several of these classes in my weather radar application. I use
vtkGlobeSource to visualize the curvature of the earth with respect to the
radar data. I also use vtkGeoAssignCoordinates to convert my map data
(roads, cities) from lat,lon coordinates into world coordinates. I realize I
may be the only one using these classes, but if they were deprecated I would
have 3 options: 1. Quit using the latest vtk sources and stick with the last
release that supported these classes. 2. Have a custom version of vtk that
included the classes I use (I would have to repeat this with every vtk
release). 3. Quit using vtk and look for another library that supports earth
rendering features.

Thanks.

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

David E DeMarle
Option 4 - move these to the external module framework and set up a regression test submitter. That is much like option 2 except the hassle of maintaining code compatibility as VTK evolves is (hopefully) shared and lessened among many.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 2:13 PM, zmantorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use several of these classes in my weather radar application. I use
vtkGlobeSource to visualize the curvature of the earth with respect to the
radar data. I also use vtkGeoAssignCoordinates to convert my map data
(roads, cities) from lat,lon coordinates into world coordinates. I realize I
may be the only one using these classes, but if they were deprecated I would
have 3 options: 1. Quit using the latest vtk sources and stick with the last
release that supported these classes. 2. Have a custom version of vtk that
included the classes I use (I would have to repeat this with every vtk
release). 3. Quit using vtk and look for another library that supports earth
rendering features.

Thanks.

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

zmantorn
Option 4 sounds like the correct way to go. What steps can I take to make
this happen?

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Aashish Chaudhary-2
Hi Donny,

Would it be possible for you to share your work with us? (Source code, articles etc?). One option we are thinking that we could keep only the classes that you are using (which would still mean few more than we originally thought).

Part of this email is also to know if there are community users still willing to use C++ VTK code for geospatial visualization so we will try to keep what is usable.

- aashish

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 2:28 PM zmantorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Option 4 sounds like the correct way to go. What steps can I take to make
this happen?

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

zmantorn
This post was updated on .
This has been a work in progress for about 10 years. I have not been able to
work on it as much as I would like the last few years, but my youngest just
graduated high school so I am hoping to get back to work on it. It is a 3D
application written in C++ and C# that shows near real time high resolution
radar data by radar angle sweeps and by visualizing a volume of all sweep
angles. It is important to show the radar sweep in relation to the curvature
of the earth since the radar beam does not follow the curve of the earth.

I am not sure what you mean by share my work with you? Do you mean share my
entire code base with the community? Share the geo parts only? Unfortunately
this software is kind of a hobby at this time so there are not any articles
published.

Thanks.

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Donny,

Seems like going the remote module route is the best way to go. We can deprecate and eventually remove the classes from core VTK.
If you like, you can create (and maintain) a repository for the classes you need and add a simple CMake script to your local VTK source checkout for adding these classes back in.

See the CMake scripts for other remote modules for examples.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Sankhesh

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 3:19 PM zmantorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
This has been a work in progress for about 10 years. I have not been able to
work on it as much as I would like the last few years, but my oldest just
graduated high school so I am hoping to get back to work on it. It is a 3D
application written in C++ and C# that shows near real time high resolution
radar data by radar angle sweeps and by visualizing a volume of all sweep
angles. It is important to show the radar sweep in relation to the curvature
of the earth since the radar beam does not follow the curve of the earth.

I am not sure what you mean by share my work with you? Do you mean share my
entire code base with the community? Share the geo parts only? Unfortunately
this software is kind of a hobby at this time so there are not any articles
published.

Thanks.

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Jon Haitz Legarreta
Hi Donny,
yes, the remote modules are available to any VTK user by checking the
corresponding checkbox/making the corresponding flag be ON in
CMake/CMakeLists.txt.

The current remotes are available under the Module group of CMake.

The examples Andrew identified could also be part of the remote module.

If the classes that should be transferred to the remote are all those
Sankhesh listed, and we are set to go, I can help you in the process.

HTH,
JON HAITZ
--

On 30 May 2018 at 21:18, Donny Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Sankhesh. Would this remote repository still be a part of the VTK
> project so others can utilize these classes? I do not mind maintaining the
> repository, but I have never utilized remote modules in VTK so I am not too
> familiar with the process.
>

> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:42 PM, Sankhesh Jhaveri
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Donny,
>>
>> Seems like going the remote module route is the best way to go. We can
>> deprecate and eventually remove the classes from core VTK.
>> If you like, you can create (and maintain) a repository for the classes
>> you need and add a simple CMake script to your local VTK source checkout for
>> adding these classes back in.
>>
>> See the CMake scripts for other remote modules for examples.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sankhesh
>>

>> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 3:19 PM zmantorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This has been a work in progress for about 10 years. I have not been able
>>> work on it as much as I would like the last few years, but my oldest just
>>> graduated high school so I am hoping to get back to work on it. It is a
>>> 3D
>>> application written in C++ and C# that shows near real time high
>>> resolution
>>> radar data by radar angle sweeps and by visualizing a volume of all sweep
>>> angles. It is important to show the radar sweep in relation to the
>>> curvature
>>> of the earth since the radar beam does not follow the curve of the earth.
>>>
>>> I am not sure what you mean by share my work with you? Do you mean share
>>> my
>>> entire code base with the community? Share the geo parts only?
>>> Unfortunately
>>> this software is kind of a hobby at this time so there are not any
>>> articles
>>> published.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/VTK-Users-f1224199.html
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Donny,

Jon beat me to a response. :)
But yes, we could possibly check-in the module.remote.cmake script to the VTK repository for vtkGeoVis remote module. Although, I am not sure how useful it would be given that we know of only one user. The remote module infrastructure allows you to drop your own custom module.remote.cmake scripts to your local checkout of VTK source tree. Just by virtue of having this cmake file in the <VTK src>/Remote directory would add a flag for the module to the VTK configuration step. You can read all about it on the wiki page: https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Remote_Modules

Having said that, this is still a ways from now. The next major version (VTK 9) would just deprecate the classes. They would be removed from VTK in the version that follows - 9.1?. Once they’re removed, you’ll need the remote module for using them.

Hope that helps.
Sankhesh

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:47 AM Jon Haitz Legarreta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> entire code base with the community? Share the geo parts only?
>>> Unfortunately
>>> this software is kind of a hobby at this time so there are not any
>>> articles
>>> published.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/VTK-Users-f1224199.html
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>>
>> Sankhesh Jhaveri
>>
>> Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4417" value="+15188814417" target="_blank">(518) 881-4417

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: Deprecate vtkGeo* classes (Sankhesh Jhaveri)

Thanks Jon and Sankhesh. This definitely sounds like the way to go. I will do a little more research on remote modules with the links you provided. I will try to coordinate with you guys to get these classes moved into a remote module before they get deprecated. Can we start on this before they get deprecated, or should we wait until deprecation actually happens?

Thanks.