Re: Too many emails

David Lonie-2
Hi Anime,

I changed the subject line on this message since it's unrelated to the
previous discussion in the thread.

If you go back to the registration page that you used to sign up for
the mailing list, there's an option that lets you switch from
receiving individual emails to a daily digest. This will just send you
a single email with all messages from that day.

Or, do what I do and set up a gmail filter that moves all messages
from the mailing list into a separate folder and skip the inbox.

HTH,
Dave

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Amine Aboufirass
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Allright. So in order to be a part of this mailing list, ask questions,
> receive answers but not necessarily have to deal with a barrage of 10+emails
> a day what can a person do?
>
> I'm interested in being a part of the mailing list but I really don't need
> to receive every single communication that happens on it...  Somebody help
> please.
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> This is all I could manage to get. Please find the attached image. I hope
>> it is helpful.
>>
>> Note: I am using VTK 6.3 on windows 10 along with Qt 5.5
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:35 AM, David Lonie <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you provide a backtrace of the crash?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: Too many emails

Mathieu Westphal
You could also configure your mail client to filter the ml mail into a specific folder.
Finally, if you are only interested by getting answers on your own questions, you could subscribe/unsubscribe only when needed.

Regards,

Mathieu Westphal

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Allright. So in order to be a part of this mailing list, ask questions,
> receive answers but not necessarily have to deal with a barrage of 10+emails
> a day what can a person do?
>
> I'm interested in being a part of the mailing list but I really don't need
> to receive every single communication that happens on it...  Somebody help
> please.
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> This is all I could manage to get. Please find the attached image. I hope
>> it is helpful.
>>
>> Note: I am using VTK 6.3 on windows 10 along with Qt 5.5
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:35 AM, David Lonie <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you provide a backtrace of the crash?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: Too many emails

Andras Lasso

Switching from mailing list to web-based forum would solve this and many other problems. We recently moved Slicer mailing lists to Discourse (https://discourse.slicer.org) and it just works so much better. People can subscribe to any topic, category, or tag they are interested in, posts are much higher quality and better organized (as you can edit/fix your posts, easily fork discussions that deviate from the original topic into a new one; you can attach tags, put posts into categories and subcategories), you can get to know your community much better through detailed statistics, etc. There are many more advantages and actually we didn't found any drawbacks (other than we have to rebuild our reputation for getting more attention from search indexing bots). Even hardcore text-only email users transitioned to the new system quite easily.  Discourse provides free hosting for large open-source projects.

I couldn’t imagine to switch from mailing list to a forum a few years ago, but the world is changing and Discourse just feels more appropriate today and can do so much more.

Andras

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Allright. So in order to be a part of this mailing list, ask questions,
> receive answers but not necessarily have to deal with a barrage of 10+emails
> a day what can a person do?
>
> I'm interested in being a part of the mailing list but I really don't need
> to receive every single communication that happens on it...  Somebody help
> please.
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> This is all I could manage to get. Please find the attached image. I hope
>> it is helpful.
>>
>> Note: I am using VTK 6.3 on windows 10 along with Qt 5.5
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:35 AM, David Lonie <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you provide a backtrace of the crash?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: Too many emails

Ben Boeckel
On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 19:45:31 +0000, Andras Lasso wrote:
> Even hardcore text-only email users transitioned to the new system
> quite easily.

Is visiting the webpage completely avoidable (how much information is
lost by doing email-only)? How well do permalinks work? Does Discourse
still require JavaScript to be enabled to see *anything* on the page
(seems to be for Slicer at least).

Email works for me because I can handle lots of projects in one place
without having to visit umpteen different websites (usually with as many
different logins[1]) which is why I prefer it.

--Ben

[1]Yes, many can be tied to one *account*, but they're all still
separate *logins*.

Re: Too many emails

Andras Lasso
> Is visiting the webpage completely avoidable (how much information is lost by doing email-only)?

You can do everything from email and all information is included in the emails that are sent out. I'm not sure if you can set category/subcategory, tags, etc. when you create a new topic by email, but it is better to create new topics using the web interface anyway, as you can also preview formatting, mention people, copy-paste images directly from the clipboard, get suggestions to related posts before submitting a new topic, etc.

> Email works for me because I can handle lots of projects in one place without having to visit umpteen different websites

Same here, it's good to have one inbox for all incoming questions and requests. The nice thing is that you can still get emails as usual, but if you visit the website you get lots of additional features.

> usually with as many different logins

If the website asks me to log in (rarely happens, as it usually keeps me logged in), then I log in with a single click on "login with GitHub".

Andras

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 13:24:50 +0000, Andras Lasso wrote:

> > Is visiting the webpage completely avoidable (how much information
> > is lost by doing email-only)?
>
> You can do everything from email and all information is included in
> the emails that are sent out. I'm not sure if you can set
> category/subcategory, tags, etc. when you create a new topic by email,
> but it is better to create new topics using the web interface anyway,
> as you can also preview formatting, mention people, copy-paste images
> directly from the clipboard, get suggestions to related posts before
> submitting a new topic, etc.
>
> > Email works for me because I can handle lots of projects in one
> > place without having to visit umpteen different websites
>
> Same here, it's good to have one inbox for all incoming questions and
> requests. The nice thing is that you can still get emails as usual,
> but if you visit the website you get lots of additional features.

And therefore, I'd just tend to not use those features… My question is:
"how much does that matter?".

> If the website asks me to log in (rarely happens, as it usually keeps
> me logged in), then I log in with a single click on "login with
> GitHub".

I don't like giving things access to my Github profile…things tend to
ask for *way* too many permissions :( . For example, there is *no*
reason that Gerrit should *require* write access to my repositories
(private ones too!). Most of this is Github's fault for having a really
coarse permission model…

And Google requires re-auth once a month (or so). Maybe because I have
two-factor enabled.

--Ben

Re: Too many emails

Andras Lasso
>> but if you visit the website you get lots of additional features.
>
>And therefore, I'd just tend to not use those features… My question is:
>"how much does that matter?".

They certainly matter a lot to many people. I don't need or want to convince the VTK community to change, just wanted to let you know about our very positive experiences of switching to a web-based forum.

Andras