Re: vtk c++ vs. java speed

Steve M. Robbins
On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 07:29:02PM +0000, Jesse Corrington wrote:
> I am wondering if there is much speed different between using an MFC vtk
> window and a vtkPanel.  Currently my project uses the MFS window, and i am
> thinking of switching to java to integrade with a different UI that I have
> already built in java.  Am i going to loose much speed.

In general I wouldn't think there would be any speed loss.  Using the
java bindings means that you use java to create a top-level window (a
java Canvas) which is hooked up to VTK by using JNI magic to pass the
window handle to the vtkRenderWindow C++ object.  The graphics
pipeline you create is identical to the one created in a C++ app, so
the rendering should be identical.

The mouse/keyboard event processing goes through java so that might be
different.  Ditto for any callbacks you might have.

-Steve