Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Bill Lorensen
I like the idea of a monthly version number. As we add examples of new classes, we can test whether or not to build based on versions. We do that now, but we have to test on the slow-moving version now. At one time we changed the version every night.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018, 3:16 PM David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Gang,

I'd like to change the VTK version number in master from 9.0.0 to 8.2.0.  Does anybody object?
The proposed change can be found at: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4700

I want to do this because it will let me make a release now to preserve what is in master. The larger scale changes we planned for 9.0 will happen shortly after that. 8.2 will and 9.0 may come out before the end of this year.

A topic for future discussion is whether we want to continue the existing, fairly haphazard naming scheme or move to something better, perhaps a year.month scheme like several other projects have moved to recently.

thanks for your advice

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

David E DeMarle
Thanks for the feedback. I would like to branch in three weeks and rename master later this week.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 2:59 AM Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Den ons 26 sep. 2018 00:16David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> skrev:
Hey Gang,

I'd like to change the VTK version number in master from 9.0.0 to 8.2.0.  Does anybody object?
The proposed change can be found at: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4700

I want to do this because it will let me make a release now to preserve what is in master. The larger scale changes we planned for 9.0 will happen shortly after that. 8.2 will and 9.0 may come out before the end of this year.

Sounds good to me. When roughly are you hoping to do the 8.2 release? Asking because I have this lingering MR that fixes support for fractional device pixel ratio in the "old"/"native" QVTKOpenGLWidget (the MR predates the new alien one) that I've been wanting to brush up and get merged, but work has just kept me swamped so I haven't gotten to it yet.

So just wondering whether I have weeks or days to get that done.

The native QVTKOpenGLWidget is currently broken to the point of being unusable on fractional (eg 150%) device pixel ratio (for example a Linux/KDE machine with screen scaling set to 150%).

A topic for future discussion is whether we want to continue the existing, fairly haphazard naming scheme or move to something better, perhaps a year.month scheme like several other projects have moved to recently.

I'm not a dev, but this would be OK with me. We do internal Ubuntu package builds, and as long as the versioning works well as Ubuntu package versions, I think it sounds like a good idea (I think Debian supports just about any versioning scheme, so no worries).

Elvis

thanks for your advice

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
I have no objection, but I have to ask "What does the major version number change mean? Does it signify breaking changes or the addition of new/removal of old modules?"

In regards to some of the other feedback; the problem with month.year versioning is that it represents nothing more than chronology. How would new/deprecated features be signalled?

On 27 Sep 2018 2:13 a.m., David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Shawn Waldon-2
Hi Todd,

You have a good point, but VTK's current versioning system doesn't guarantee anything about minor/major version changes.  Even our "minor" version updates can and do have breaking changes and removed modules.  If we followed strict semantic versioning then every release would be a major release.  I think the main argument in favor of year.month is that it no longer seems to promise something we don't provide in terms of compatibility.

Shawn

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:33 PM, Todd via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I mean a # that increments nightly. Resets to 0 when a the revision
number changes.

Major.Minor.Patch.Build

Right now if a new class is added you there is no way to know from the
version when it was added.

I think we used to do this in vtk...

Back in April 2008 a nightly build increment was stopped

Bill

--
Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Bill Lorensen
That would work.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018, 6:05 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 20:44:22 -0700, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I mean a # that increments nightly. Resets to 0 when a the revision
> number changes.
>
> Major.Minor.Patch.Build
>
> Right now if a new class is added you there is no way to know from the
> version when it was added.
>
> I think we used to do this in vtk...

CMake does this, but it is not just a number that resets to 0, but a
datestamp:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/commit/8bb0e09e38d3ab75198b1cd9746bfa7a7b80ff94

It is used *as* the patch number, not a fourth component. This means
that as soon as we branch and make M.N.0, `master` is already
M.N.2018MMDD and "bigger".

--Ben

Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

David E DeMarle
Thanks for the input everyone.

It seems that noone objects to changing master's name off of 9.0, so I will go ahead and finish up the merge request to reset it to 8.2.0 today.

I'll defer the numbering scheme for subsequent releases for a little while.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 9:27 AM Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
That would work.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018, 6:05 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 20:44:22 -0700, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I mean a # that increments nightly. Resets to 0 when a the revision
> number changes.
>
> Major.Minor.Patch.Build
>
> Right now if a new class is added you there is no way to know from the
> version when it was added.
>
> I think we used to do this in vtk...

CMake does this, but it is not just a number that resets to 0, but a
datestamp:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/commit/8bb0e09e38d3ab75198b1cd9746bfa7a7b80ff94

It is used *as* the patch number, not a fourth component. This means
that as soon as we branch and make M.N.0, `master` is already
M.N.2018MMDD and "bigger".

--Ben

Re: [vtkusers] Discussion: OK to change VTK's version number from 9.0 to 8.2?

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin-2
Hi Folks,

My apology for answering late, I was literally our of town without any connection for the past two weeks and didn't have a chance to comment earlier.

While 3D Slicer itself can easily be updated, there are projects that build against 3D Slicer and/or dependent on 3D Slicer while supporting being built against different of VTK. To avoid the burden of updating each one of these projects, I am writing an email to the list to check if others would support reverting back to version 9.0.0 ?

Thanks
Jc