Quantcast

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Michael Jackson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just tried the HiDPI support on VTK 7.1.0-rc2 and I get the usual VTK
> rendering canvas that is half the size of the widget that it is embedded
> into.
>
> We are using Qt 5.6.2 on macOS 10.10.5. I compiled my original pull request
> (way back in Aug 2016) and that patch gives me a full size canvas. But when
> compiling the latest VTK 7.1.0-rc2 I get the half size canvas. I thought the
> branch was merged on Sept 28 2016 but I guess I got busy and never actually
> tested it on a retina screen.
>
> Most likely I am doing something wrong in the initialization in my code but
> just in case can anyone else confirm with Qt 5.6.x that they can actually
> get a Retina/HiDPI canvas?

Bob has a retinal Mac that I can do some testing on, this is likely to
end up being after Supercomputing, but I would like to follow up on
this. We had it working when you visited, and I am hoping to get this
enabled in Tomviz at some point soon. It would be great to hear from
Sean and/or David. To the best of my recollection an alternate
approach was developed, and that was merged. It had several other
changes in addition to what was proposed originally.

I can look at cherry-picking the patch we developed when you were out,
and going over what may have not made it into current master if this
isn't working. Posting this to developers as it feels like more of a
development issue to me, I got busy and didn't get around to testing
master once it was merged (and don't have easy access to a retinal
machine, but I can walk across to Bob's office to borrow one).

I will see about getting Tomviz set up there, and attempt to enable
retinal in the Qt API for the application which is also based on Qt
5.6+

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Michael Jackson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Michael Jackson
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried the HiDPI support on VTK 7.1.0-rc2 and I get the usual VTK
>>> rendering canvas that is half the size of the widget that it is embedded
>>> into.
>>>
>>> We are using Qt 5.6.2 on macOS 10.10.5. I compiled my original pull
>>> request
>>> (way back in Aug 2016) and that patch gives me a full size canvas. But
>>> when
>>> compiling the latest VTK 7.1.0-rc2 I get the half size canvas. I thought
>>> the
>>> branch was merged on Sept 28 2016 but I guess I got busy and never
>>> actually
>>> tested it on a retina screen.
>>>
>>> Most likely I am doing something wrong in the initialization in my code
>>> but
>>> just in case can anyone else confirm with Qt 5.6.x that they can actually
>>> get a Retina/HiDPI canvas?
>>>
>> Bob has a retinal Mac that I can do some testing on, this is likely to
>> end up being after Supercomputing, but I would like to follow up on
>> this. We had it working when you visited, and I am hoping to get this
>> enabled in Tomviz at some point soon. It would be great to hear from
>> Sean and/or David. To the best of my recollection an alternate
>> approach was developed, and that was merged. It had several other
>> changes in addition to what was proposed originally.
>>
>> I can look at cherry-picking the patch we developed when you were out,
>> and going over what may have not made it into current master if this
>> isn't working. Posting this to developers as it feels like more of a
>> development issue to me, I got busy and didn't get around to testing
>> master once it was merged (and don't have easy access to a retinal
>> machine, but I can walk across to Bob's office to borrow one).
>>
>> I will see about getting Tomviz set up there, and attempt to enable
>> retinal in the Qt API for the application which is also based on Qt
>> 5.6+
>
> You can always just use the screen res hack to enable HiDPI modes on the 30"
> monitor. This is how I am testing here at the office. Better than nothing.

True, but I would like access to a real retinal display to assess the
user interface when we move over.

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Sean McBride
On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 14:36:56 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Michael Jackson
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just tried the HiDPI support on VTK 7.1.0-rc2 and I get the usual VTK
>> rendering canvas that is half the size of the widget that it is embedded
>> into.
>>
>> We are using Qt 5.6.2 on macOS 10.10.5. I compiled my original pull request
>> (way back in Aug 2016) and that patch gives me a full size canvas. But when
>> compiling the latest VTK 7.1.0-rc2 I get the half size canvas. I thought the
>> branch was merged on Sept 28 2016 but I guess I got busy and never actually
>> tested it on a retina screen.
>>
>> Most likely I am doing something wrong in the initialization in my code but
>> just in case can anyone else confirm with Qt 5.6.x that they can actually
>> get a Retina/HiDPI canvas?
>>
>Bob has a retinal Mac that I can do some testing on, this is likely to
>end up being after Supercomputing, but I would like to follow up on
>this. We had it working when you visited, and I am hoping to get this
>enabled in Tomviz at some point soon. It would be great to hear from
>Sean and/or David. To the best of my recollection an alternate
>approach was developed, and that was merged. It had several other
>changes in addition to what was proposed originally.

We merged my PR:
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2019>

and not Mike's:
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1791>

IIRC mine was a superset of Mike's, unless we screwed something up somewhere.  I was always of the view that the changes were necessary but not sufficient.

I'm swamped this week preparing for the SfN conference, but can look more next week...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 [hidden email]
Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Elvis Stansvik

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 14:36:56 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:
>
>>On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Michael Jackson
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I just tried the HiDPI support on VTK 7.1.0-rc2 and I get the usual VTK
>>> rendering canvas that is half the size of the widget that it is embedded
>>> into.
>>>
>>> We are using Qt 5.6.2 on macOS 10.10.5. I compiled my original pull request
>>> (way back in Aug 2016) and that patch gives me a full size canvas. But when
>>> compiling the latest VTK 7.1.0-rc2 I get the half size canvas. I thought the
>>> branch was merged on Sept 28 2016 but I guess I got busy and never actually
>>> tested it on a retina screen.
>>>
>>> Most likely I am doing something wrong in the initialization in my code but
>>> just in case can anyone else confirm with Qt 5.6.x that they can actually
>>> get a Retina/HiDPI canvas?
>>>
>>Bob has a retinal Mac that I can do some testing on, this is likely to
>>end up being after Supercomputing, but I would like to follow up on
>>this. We had it working when you visited, and I am hoping to get this
>>enabled in Tomviz at some point soon. It would be great to hear from
>>Sean and/or David. To the best of my recollection an alternate
>>approach was developed, and that was merged. It had several other
>>changes in addition to what was proposed originally.
>
> We merged my PR:
> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2019>
>
> and not Mike's:
> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1791>
>
> IIRC mine was a superset of Mike's, unless we screwed something up somewhere.  I was always of the view that the changes were necessary but not sufficient.
>
> I'm swamped this week preparing for the SfN conference, but can look more next week...

Bumping this old thread since I'm in this boat as well now.

I've finally gotten around to porting our application to macOS.
Everything went pretty smooth. We're using 7.1.1, and we're using
QVTKWidget (will port to QVTKOpenGLWidget once 8.0.0 is out).

I am however seeing the problem on a retina screen that VTK render
windows only take up a quarter of their alotted space.

So my question: Is it possible to make VTK work fine on retina
displays with 7.1.1? If not, is there some patch I could apply? Or
will I have to build from Git (to be 8.0.0)?

Cheers,
Elvis

> Cheers,

> Sean McBride, B. Eng                 [hidden email]
> Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
> Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Elvis Stansvik
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 14:36:56 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>>>Bob has a retinal Mac that I can do some testing on, this is likely to
>>>end up being after Supercomputing, but I would like to follow up on
>>>this. We had it working when you visited, and I am hoping to get this
>>>enabled in Tomviz at some point soon. It would be great to hear from
>>>Sean and/or David. To the best of my recollection an alternate
>>>approach was developed, and that was merged. It had several other
>>>changes in addition to what was proposed originally.
>>
>> We merged my PR:
>> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2019>
>>
>> and not Mike's:
>> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1791>
>>
>> IIRC mine was a superset of Mike's, unless we screwed something up somewhere.  I was always of the view that the changes were necessary but not sufficient.
>>
>> I'm swamped this week preparing for the SfN conference, but can look more next week...
>
> Bumping this old thread since I'm in this boat as well now.
>
> I've finally gotten around to porting our application to macOS.
> Everything went pretty smooth. We're using 7.1.1, and we're using
> QVTKWidget (will port to QVTKOpenGLWidget once 8.0.0 is out).
>
> I am however seeing the problem on a retina screen that VTK render
> windows only take up a quarter of their alotted space.
>
> So my question: Is it possible to make VTK work fine on retina
> displays with 7.1.1? If not, is there some patch I could apply? Or
> will I have to build from Git (to be 8.0.0)?

So I worked on some pieces of this, but may not know all the moving
parts. If you are using Qt 5 and want a retinal display application,
then you should be using QVTKOpenGLWidget. If you are using Qt 4 then
it will never work properly as Qt 4 lacks the support, or not to the
best of my knowledge. We did quite a bit of work, but it focused on
the QVTKOpenGLWidget and Qt 5, but you would need master or the 8.0
release.

Den 11 maj 2017 5:25 em skrev "Marcus D. Hanwell" <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> We merged my PR:
> >> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2019>
> >>
> >> and not Mike's:
> >> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1791>
> >>
> >> IIRC mine was a superset of Mike's, unless we screwed something up somewhere.  I was always of the view that the changes were necessary but not sufficient.
> >>
> >> I'm swamped this week preparing for the SfN conference, but can look more next week...
> >
> > Bumping this old thread since I'm in this boat as well now.
> >
> > I've finally gotten around to porting our application to macOS.
> > Everything went pretty smooth. We're using 7.1.1, and we're using
> > QVTKWidget (will port to QVTKOpenGLWidget once 8.0.0 is out).
> >
> > I am however seeing the problem on a retina screen that VTK render
> > windows only take up a quarter of their alotted space.
> >
> > So my question: Is it possible to make VTK work fine on retina
> > displays with 7.1.1? If not, is there some patch I could apply? Or
> > will I have to build from Git (to be 8.0.0)?
> >
> So I worked on some pieces of this, but may not know all the moving
> parts. If you are using Qt 5 and want a retinal display application,
> then you should be using QVTKOpenGLWidget. If you are using Qt 4 then
> it will never work properly as Qt 4 lacks the support, or not to the
> best of my knowledge. We did quite a bit of work, but it focused on
> the QVTKOpenGLWidget and Qt 5, but you would need master or the 8.0
> release.

Alright, thanks for the info Marcus. I better switch to VTK master and try out the new widget for the macOS build then. Was planning on that anyway soon.

Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?

Elvis

Den 11 maj 2017 5:50 em skrev "Elvis Stansvik" <[hidden email]>:

> Den 11 maj 2017 5:25 em skrev "Marcus D. Hanwell" <[hidden email]>:

> > > Bumping this old thread since I'm in this boat as well now.
> > >
> > > I've finally gotten around to porting our application to macOS.
> > > Everything went pretty smooth. We're using 7.1.1, and we're using
> > > QVTKWidget (will port to QVTKOpenGLWidget once 8.0.0 is out).
> > >
> > > I am however seeing the problem on a retina screen that VTK render
> > > windows only take up a quarter of their alotted space.
> > >
> > > So my question: Is it possible to make VTK work fine on retina
> > > displays with 7.1.1? If not, is there some patch I could apply? Or
> > > will I have to build from Git (to be 8.0.0)?
> > >
> > So I worked on some pieces of this, but may not know all the moving
> > parts. If you are using Qt 5 and want a retinal display application,
> > then you should be using QVTKOpenGLWidget. If you are using Qt 4 then
> > it will never work properly as Qt 4 lacks the support, or not to the
> > best of my knowledge. We did quite a bit of work, but it focused on
> > the QVTKOpenGLWidget and Qt 5, but you would need master or the 8.0
> > release.
>
> Alright, thanks for the info Marcus. I better switch to VTK master and try out the new widget for the macOS build then. Was planning on that anyway soon.

But just so I'm clear, QVTKWidget won't work well, even with master?

> Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?
>
> Elvis

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Elvis Stansvik
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Den 11 maj 2017 5:50 em skrev "Elvis Stansvik" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Den 11 maj 2017 5:25 em skrev "Marcus D. Hanwell" <[hidden email]>:

> > > So I worked on some pieces of this, but may not know all the moving
> > > parts. If you are using Qt 5 and want a retinal display application,
> > > then you should be using QVTKOpenGLWidget. If you are using Qt 4 then
> > > it will never work properly as Qt 4 lacks the support, or not to the
> > > best of my knowledge. We did quite a bit of work, but it focused on
> > > the QVTKOpenGLWidget and Qt 5, but you would need master or the 8.0
> > > release.
> >
> > Alright, thanks for the info Marcus. I better switch to VTK master and try out the new widget for the macOS build then. Was planning on that anyway soon.
>
> But just so I'm clear, QVTKWidget won't work well, even with master?

It will work well with Qt 4, OK with Qt 5 but it will not give you a
retinal resolution widget on macOS. Tomviz tracked the bleeding edge,
and used QVTKWidget for a while with Qt 5 (a year or more), but there
were several issues we never resolved. Developing the QVTKOpenGLWidget
let us move past that, and was the first widget to yield VTK OpenGL
rendering at full resolution on retinal macOS displays.

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Elvis Stansvik
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?

To the best of my knowledge yes, but our release team would have the
most up to date information on that.

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Elvis Stansvik

> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Alright, thanks for the info Marcus. I better switch to VTK master and try out the new widget for the macOS build then. Was planning on that anyway soon.
>>
>> But just so I'm clear, QVTKWidget won't work well, even with master?
>>
> It will work well with Qt 4, OK with Qt 5 but it will not give you a
> retinal resolution widget on macOS. Tomviz tracked the bleeding edge,
> and used QVTKWidget for a while with Qt 5 (a year or more), but there
> were several issues we never resolved. Developing the QVTKOpenGLWidget
> let us move past that, and was the first widget to yield VTK OpenGL
> rendering at full resolution on retinal macOS displays.

Alright. Sounds like QVTKOpenGLWidget is the way to go then, sooner
rather than later. I guess also good since it'll provide some
pre-release testing of master in preparation for 8.0.0.

Elvis

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?

Yes. Note that this involves branching 8.0.0 in the coming week and consequently, starting the release process (release candidates, collating change notes, etc.). The final release and tagging will happen later.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?

To the best of my knowledge yes, but our release team would have the
most up to date information on that.

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Elvis Stansvik
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?
>
> To the best of my knowledge yes, but our release team would have the
> most up to date information on that.

Alright. I saw Sankesh's post to vtk-developers from a week ago go
unanswered, so wasn't sure.

Elvis

Re: [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Elvis Stansvik

> Do you know if the 8.0.0 branching is on for the week of may 15 still?
>
> Yes. Note that this involves branching 8.0.0 in the coming week and
> consequently, starting the release process (release candidates, collating
> change notes, etc.). The final release and tagging will happen later.

Yep, I know that's just the start of the provess. That first -rc
tarball is what I really hunger for. Then I can switch our internal
BuildBot jobs for Debian packages and Windows build to use that, and
use my collegues as guinea pigs :)

Elvis