Read ply point cloud?

Bruno Oliveira
Hello,

is it not possible to import a PLY point cloud file into VTK?

Re: Read ply point cloud?

David Doria-2-3
On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

is it not possible to import a PLY point cloud file into VTK?

Did you search the examples? http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/ReadPLY

David

Re: Read ply point cloud?

David Doria-2-3
On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
I did and tried it but the PLYReader won't import point cloud only PLY files.

Please keep the conversation on the mailing list.

What is the difference between a "point cloud" and a "PLY file"? Can you post an example somewhere?

David

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
I meant a point cloud PLY file, i.e., a PLY file which only contains "element vertex" entries

I'm not sure without trying it, but my guess is that you end up with a vtkPolyData that has no topology. Running vtkVertexGlyphFilter on it should get you the visualizable point cloud you're expecting:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Filtering/VertexGlyphFilter

David