Remote Modules

Bill Lorensen
Folks,

ITK has a great mechanism to bring in external contributions. They are
called Remote Modules. In a nut shell, you provide a small description
of where to get the remote itk modules. For example:
#
# ITK WikiExamples
#  This remote module require a VTK build
#  The following CMake variable must be set for the ITK build
#
# Check for requires cmake variables

itk_fetch_module(WikiExamples
  "A collection of examples that illustrate how to use ITK."
  GIT_REPOSITORY
https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKWikiExamples.git
# June 13, 2014
  GIT_TAG b14135585268b26a856becbe642de25a08359c04
  )

Then. cmake discovers the module and its itk-module.cmake file and
treats the contributon as a first class module (if turned on).

The mechanism is described here:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Policy_and_Procedures_for_Adding_Remote_Modules

The knowledge base for this resides at Kitware. I suspect that
something similar could be added to VTK.

Bill

Re: Remote Modules

David Cole-2
This is a good idea... +1, thumbs up, *and* retweet!

Re: Remote Modules

David E DeMarle
+1

The improvements to customization and contribution goals of the NIH VTK maintenance grant should cover our time at kitware to do it. We just have to find the time to actually get it done.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a good idea... +1, thumbs up, *and* retweet!

Re: Remote Modules

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> ITK has a great mechanism to bring in external contributions. They are
> called Remote Modules. In a nut shell, you provide a small description
> of where to get the remote itk modules. For example:
> #
> # ITK WikiExamples
> #  This remote module require a VTK build
> #  The following CMake variable must be set for the ITK build
> #
> # Check for requires cmake variables
>
> itk_fetch_module(WikiExamples
>   "A collection of examples that illustrate how to use ITK."
>   GIT_REPOSITORY
> https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKWikiExamples.git
> # June 13, 2014
>   GIT_TAG b14135585268b26a856becbe642de25a08359c04
>   )
>
> Then. cmake discovers the module and its itk-module.cmake file and
> treats the contributon as a first class module (if turned on).
>
> The mechanism is described here:
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Policy_and_Procedures_for_Adding_Remote_Modules
>
> The knowledge base for this resides at Kitware. I suspect that
> something similar could be added to VTK.

Excellent suggestion, I was hoping to get to this - I had talked with
some of the ITK developers about it after reading a blog post or
source article about it. As Dave pointed out, scheduling some time is
the hardest point but there is a module mentioned in another thread
that looks like an excellent candidate (and I am sure there are many
more).

Marcus

Re: Remote Modules

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
On related topic, Slicer also has the concept of remote module that build on top of a function named "ExternalProject_Add_Source" that will eventually be integrated into Artichoke. See [1], [2] and [3]

[1] http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Build_system/Remote_Module

[2] https://github.com/Slicer/Slicer/blob/f90f789e0b53da65f1c2b8a417d8e8dfedee4518/CMake/ExternalProjectAddSource.cmake#L125

[3] http://cmake-artichoke.readthedocs.org/en/latest/