Removing unreferenced examples

Ben Boeckel
Hi all,

In the process of doing the new module system, I've come across many
examples which seem to be unreferenced in the CMake code. Should any of
them be saved? If so, it would be nice to have them at least behind a
`if (SOME_FLAG)` option so there's a chance they can run.

Here's a list of unreferenced examples:

Commented out:
    Examples/Array/Cxx
    Examples/GUI/Win32/SampleMFC
    Examples/GUI/Win32/SimpleCxx
    Examples/GUI/Win32/vtkMFC

Unreferenced:
    Examples/GUI/Cocoa
        David Gobbi mentioned that Sean McBride is maintaining this.
        How are they run? Manually?
    Examples/GUI/Qt
    Examples/GUI/Win32

--Ben

Re: Removing unreferenced examples

Ben Boeckel
On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:17:58 -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Unreferenced:
>     Examples/GUI/Cocoa
>         David Gobbi mentioned that Sean McBride is maintaining this.
>         How are they run? Manually?
>     Examples/GUI/Qt
>     Examples/GUI/Win32

Also in this group are other example files which are unreferenced seen
in this commit:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4733/diffs?commit_id=ba76d967b37a4b276dcc0b9be6f262bd78aaa23f

--Ben

Re: Removing unreferenced examples

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin-2
Should these examples be move to the Examples project ?

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:17:58 -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Unreferenced:
>     Examples/GUI/Cocoa
>         David Gobbi mentioned that Sean McBride is maintaining this.
>         How are they run? Manually?
>     Examples/GUI/Qt
>     Examples/GUI/Win32

Also in this group are other example files which are unreferenced seen
in this commit:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4733/diffs?commit_id=ba76d967b37a4b276dcc0b9be6f262bd78aaa23f

--Ben

Re: Removing unreferenced examples

Bill Lorensen
Many have been moved. Perhaps this can be addressed at the upcoming hackathon.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 7:22 AM Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Should these examples be move to the Examples project ?

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 09:17:58 -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Unreferenced:
>     Examples/GUI/Cocoa
>         David Gobbi mentioned that Sean McBride is maintaining this.
>         How are they run? Manually?
>     Examples/GUI/Qt
>     Examples/GUI/Win32

Also in this group are other example files which are unreferenced seen
in this commit:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4733/diffs?commit_id=ba76d967b37a4b276dcc0b9be6f262bd78aaa23f

--Ben

Re: Removing unreferenced examples

Sean McBride
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 09:17:58 -0400, Ben Boeckel said:

>In the process of doing the new module system, I've come across many
>examples which seem to be unreferenced in the CMake code. Should any of
>them be saved? If so, it would be nice to have them at least behind a
>`if (SOME_FLAG)` option so there's a chance they can run.
>
>Here's a list of unreferenced examples:
>
>Commented out:
>    Examples/Array/Cxx
>    Examples/GUI/Win32/SampleMFC
>    Examples/GUI/Win32/SimpleCxx
>    Examples/GUI/Win32/vtkMFC
>
>Unreferenced:
>    Examples/GUI/Cocoa
>        David Gobbi mentioned that Sean McBride is maintaining this.
>        How are they run? Manually?

I do maintain it.  It can be built either by the included Xcode project or using the included CMakeLists.txt.

When you say "unreferenced" what do you mean?

Sean

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:21:57 -0400, Sean McBride wrote:
> I do maintain it.  It can be built either by the included Xcode
> project or using the included CMakeLists.txt.
>
> When you say "unreferenced" what do you mean?

That there's no CMake code which builds the example. That is, the
example is only manually built and therefore not tested (or testable!)
to our dashboards.

Is there some way we can get it available through something like:

```cmake
if (VTK_BUILD_COCOA_EXAMPLE)
  add_test(NAME Example-Cocoa COMMAND ...)
endif ()
```

?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:54:55 -0400, Ben Boeckel said:

>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:21:57 -0400, Sean McBride wrote:
>> I do maintain it.  It can be built either by the included Xcode
>> project or using the included CMakeLists.txt.
>>
>> When you say "unreferenced" what do you mean?
>
>That there's no CMake code which builds the example. That is, the
>example is only manually built and therefore not tested (or testable!)
>to our dashboards.
>
>Is there some way we can get it available through something like:
>
>```cmake
>if (VTK_BUILD_COCOA_EXAMPLE)
>  add_test(NAME Example-Cocoa COMMAND ...)
>endif ()
>```

It certainly would be nice if it got built automagically, so as to keep API changes and whatnot from breaking it.  But it's not a test, it's an example of an interactive application.  Since it has its own CMakeLists.txt, isn't it just a matter of some higher level CMake stuff building it?  I'm afraid my knowledge of CMake is limited to 'cd bin; cmake ../VTK; make install'. :)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 [hidden email]
Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 14:25:27 -0400, Sean McBride wrote:
> It certainly would be nice if it got built automagically, so as to
> keep API changes and whatnot from breaking it.  But it's not a test,
> it's an example of an interactive application.  Since it has its own
> CMakeLists.txt, isn't it just a matter of some higher level CMake
> stuff building it?  I'm afraid my knowledge of CMake is limited to 'cd
> bin; cmake ../VTK; make install'. :)

As far as VTK is concerned, *building* the example *is* a test. If it
has tests, running them too would be great as well. Basically, the
command for the test should be:

    ctest --build-and-test <source> <build> -- \
    "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE}" \
    --test-command "${CMAKE_CTEST_COMMAND}"

--Ben