Rendering with Xinerama?

James Frye
Hi,

I'm trying to run the first example in the tutorial.  I run Xinerama on a
Dell laptop with a Radeon video card.  Unfortunately the laptop display is
not working (waiting on a new inverter board), so I'm limited to the 2nd
display.  So I made a couple of minor (I thought!) changes to Cone.cxx:
made the window a bit bigger with renWin->SetSize (600, 600), and moved it
on to the working display with renWin->SetPosition (1600, 300).  Compile &
run it, and I get a window that sane "Visualization Toolkit - OpenGL", but
it's blank: no background, no cone, nada.

Is there something special I need to set to get it to work?

Thanks,
James

Re: Rendering with Xinerama?

Kevin H. Hobbs
On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 10:51 -0800, James Frye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run the first example in the tutorial.  I run Xinerama on a
> Dell laptop with a Radeon video card.  Unfortunately the laptop display is
> not working (waiting on a new inverter board), so I'm limited to the 2nd
> display.  So I made a couple of minor (I thought!) changes to Cone.cxx:
> made the window a bit bigger with renWin->SetSize (600, 600), and moved it
> on to the working display with renWin->SetPosition (1600, 300).  Compile &
> run it, and I get a window that sane "Visualization Toolkit - OpenGL", but
> it's blank: no background, no cone, nada.
>
> Is there something special I need to set to get it to work?
>
> Thanks,
> James
Xinerama disables direct rendering, so OpenGL will not give you what you
want on the second head.

Try a cloned X configuration. You may be more likely to get some output
that way.

Some cards never seem to give any output on the second head though.