Quantcast

Save as vtu

houssen
In paraview, I open a xmf file, I would like to export it as vtu (to
read it later on with vtkUnstructuredGridReader): neither "save data"
nor "export scene" allows this (save data suggest the .vtm format but it
turns out that vtm can not be read later on by vtkUnstructuredGridReader
as vtu is expected - I guess ?). Same problem when opening a stl file in
paraview: can not export it as vtu.

How can I export a xmf/stl fle as vtu ? Do I need a (existing ?) plugin
? If yes, which one ? Is there a work around ? Or is this a dead end ?

Franck

PS: I have paraview-5.1.0, should I compile a newer version ?

test.xmf (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Save as vtu

Andy Bauer
Hi,

The vtu format is for unstructured (non-multiblock) grids. For multiblock grids like the ones read in from an xmf file you will need to convert it to an unstructured grid. You an use the Merge Blocks filter to do that.

Is there a strong reason for saving it as a vtu file? It sounds like there are better file formats available for your data set.

Andy

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM, houssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
In paraview, I open a xmf file, I would like to export it as vtu (to read it later on with vtkUnstructuredGridReader): neither "save data" nor "export scene" allows this (save data suggest the .vtm format but it turns out that vtm can not be read later on by vtkUnstructuredGridReader as vtu is expected - I guess ?). Same problem when opening a stl file in paraview: can not export it as vtu.

How can I export a xmf/stl fle as vtu ? Do I need a (existing ?) plugin ? If yes, which one ? Is there a work around ? Or is this a dead end ?

Franck

PS: I have paraview-5.1.0, should I compile a newer version ?

Re: Save as vtu

David E DeMarle
Adding to what Andy said.
In this case the xdmf file defines a multiblock with three unstructured grids underneath it. Each of your unstructured grids happens to have just one cell in it. When you save as vtm, you will get a top level .vtm defining the collection, and a directory with three .vtu files, one for each block.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Andy Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

First let me describe a bit more the need behind this (to answer Andy's
question). I need to visualize some data: I decided to use a
vtkUnstructuredGrid as a starting point (because it seems more flexible:
you can describe all kind of meshes with that, not only specific ones).
For very simple cases, I can build my vtkUnstructuredGrid myself and do
stuffs I need to do with it: that's OK. For more complex cases, I would
like to use some external data (stl or xmf for instance): this means I
need to build a vtkUnstructuredGrid from stl or xmf (or ideally from any
other format). So I was like : "OK, let's try to use the
vtkUnstructuredGridReader" (hoping this reader could read any format and
convert it to a vtkUnstructuredGrid). It turns out that
vtkUnstructuredGridReader is only for vtu, right ? Not such a big deal
anyway if I can convert stl/xmf to vtu: as I didn't succeed to do that
in paraview, I sent this mail.

Now to answer your questions/remarks:

1. The xmf defines a multiblock: yes, I noticed that. I already tried
to save as vtm (proposed in the GUI - there was no vtu format available
at this step) and get what you said David. But the problem is that when
I read the vtm with vtkUnstructuredGridReader, I get :
"vtkUnstructuredGridReader (0x55cf2916cc00): Unrecognized file type:
<VTKFile type="vtkMultiBlockDataSet" version="1.0"
byte_order="LittleEndian" header_type="UInt64"> for file: tstXmfFEM.vtm"

2. I didn't know about the merge blocks filter. I used it: now the
"save as" GUI propose to save as vtu. I save as vtu but when I read it
with vtkUnstructuredGridReader, I get : "vtkUnstructuredGridReader
(0x5650aee5ec00): Unrecognized file type: <VTKFile
type="UnstructuredGrid" version="1.0" byte_order="LittleEndian"
header_type="UInt64"> for file: tstXmfFEM.vtu"

3. How to convert a stl to vtu ?

Franck

Note: I use Paraview-5.1.0 and VTK-7.1.0 (does this trigger version
related problems ?)

Note: to read with vtkUnstructuredGridreader, I basically do
reader->SetFileName(), then reader->Update(), then reader->GetOutput()

Le 2017-04-26 19:03, David E DeMarle a écrit :

> Adding to what Andy said.
> In this case the xdmf file defines a multiblock with three
> unstructured grids underneath it. Each of your unstructured grids
> happens to have just one cell in it. When you save as vtm, you will
> get a top level .vtm defining the collection, and a directory with
> three .vtu files, one for each block.
>
> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Andy Bauer <[hidden email]
> [12]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The vtu format is for unstructured (non-multiblock) grids. For
>> multiblock grids like the ones read in from an xmf file you will
>> need to convert it to an unstructured grid. You an use the Merge
>> Blocks filter to do that.
>>
>> Is there a strong reason for saving it as a vtu file? It sounds
>> like there are better file formats available for your data set.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM, houssen <[hidden email] [6]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In paraview, I open a xmf file, I would like to export it as vtu
>>> (to read it later on with vtkUnstructuredGridReader): neither
>>> "save data" nor "export scene" allows this (save data suggest the
>>> .vtm format but it turns out that vtm can not be read later on by
>>> vtkUnstructuredGridReader as vtu is expected - I guess ?). Same
>>> problem when opening a stl file in paraview: can not export it as
>>> vtu.
>>>
>>> How can I export a xmf/stl fle as vtu ? Do I need a (existing ?)
>>> plugin ? If yes, which one ? Is there a work around ? Or is this
>>> dead end ?
>>>
>>> Franck
>>>
>>> PS: I have paraview-5.1.0, should I compile a newer version ?

>>> Powered by www.kitware.com [1]

>>> http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html [2]

>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ [3]
>>>
>>> Search the list archives at:
>>> http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtkusers [4]

>> Powered by www.kitware.com [7]

>> http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html [8]

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ [9]
>>
>> Search the list archives at:
>> http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtkusers [10]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.kitware.com
> [2] http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
> [3] http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ
> [4] http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtkusers
> [6] mailto:[hidden email]
> [7] http://www.kitware.com
> [8] http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html
> [9] http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ
> [10] http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtkusers
> [12] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Save as vtu

houssen
Forgot to attach the files !

Franck

Le 2017-04-27 9:50, houssen a écrit :

> [...]
>> get a top level .vtm defining the collection, and a directory with
>> three .vtu files, one for each block.
>>
>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: 518-881-4909
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Andy Bauer <[hidden email]
>> [12]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The vtu format is for unstructured (non-multiblock) grids. For
>>> multiblock grids like the ones read in from an xmf file you will
>>> need to convert it to an unstructured grid. You an use the Merge
>>> Blocks filter to do that.
>>>
>>> Is there a strong reason for saving it as a vtu file? It sounds
>>> like there are better file formats available for your data set.

tstXmfFEM.zip (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Save as vtu

houssen
OK, so there is no way to convert stl or xmf to vtu ?...

Le 2017-04-27 9:51, houssen a écrit :

> [...]
>> related problems ?)
>>
>> Note: to read with vtkUnstructuredGridreader, I basically do
>> reader->SetFileName(), then reader->Update(), then
>> reader->GetOutput()
>>
>> Le 2017-04-26 19:03, David E DeMarle a écrit :
>>> Adding to what Andy said.
>>> In this case the xdmf file defines a multiblock with three
>>> unstructured grids underneath it. Each of your unstructured grids
>>> happens to have just one cell in it. When you save as vtm, you will
>>> get a top level .vtm defining the collection, and a directory with
>>> three .vtu files, one for each block.
>>>
>>> David E DeMarle
>>> Kitware, Inc.
>>> R&D Engineer
>>> 21 Corporate Drive
>>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>>> Phone: 518-881-4909
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Andy Bauer

Re: Save as vtu

Mathieu Westphal
Hi

Please refer to Andy answer, you can save as .vtm.

Mathieu Westphal

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM, houssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

wrote:

[...]

Cory Quammen-2
[snip]

> Now to answer your questions/remarks:
>
> 1. The xmf defines a multiblock: yes, I noticed that. I already tried to
> save as vtm (proposed in the GUI - there was no vtu format available at this
> step) and get what you said David. But the problem is that when I read the
> vtm with vtkUnstructuredGridReader, I get : "vtkUnstructuredGridReader
> (0x55cf2916cc00): Unrecognized file type: <VTKFile
> type="vtkMultiBlockDataSet" version="1.0" byte_order="LittleEndian"
> header_type="UInt64"> for file: tstXmfFEM.vtm"

You must use vtkXMLMultiBlockDataReader to read a .vtm file in VTK.
vtkUnstructuredGridReader will not work.

> 2. I didn't know about the merge blocks filter. I used it: now the "save as"
> GUI propose to save as vtu. I save as vtu but when I read it with
> vtkUnstructuredGridReader, I get : "vtkUnstructuredGridReader
> (0x5650aee5ec00): Unrecognized file type: <VTKFile type="UnstructuredGrid"
> version="1.0" byte_order="LittleEndian" header_type="UInt64"> for file:
> tstXmfFEM.vtu"

You must use a vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader to read a .vtu file in
VTK. vtkUnstructuredGridReader will not work.

> 3. How to convert a stl to vtu ?

Andy's answer is still the correct one: use ParaView's Merge Blocks filter.

HTH,
Cory

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer